How long did your stock tires live?

I have about 390 miles roughly on my 450 and the rear tire is almost gone and the front is about half gone.Am I seeing normal wear or has every handful of throttle just eating me sooner? What are you guys turning to as replacements? I ride in western Oregon where terrain veries from hard and rocky, to mud and slime. :)

my stock tires lasted about 3 rides or so, the front is about half gone, i put some maxxis it's on theyre ok at least they didnt burn out at every handful of throttle, it think with the weather i'm going to put some softer terrain tires on, but try maxxis or michelin... bridgestone has some good tires also :):D from what i read about your riding i'd try the michelin s12 if its mostly soft stuff to some rocks, but today in the mud my IT's wouldnt hook up at all

One week at Moab about 300 miles for the rear tire. Normally 600 - 800 for S12 rears in normal conditions. :)

I can't believe you've got 390 miles on one. I usually go through a rear tire in about 150 miles max. These friggin 450's eat tires for breakfast.

I hear Maxxis IT's are not great on the front... anyone try the M12's?

Maxxis IT's are the best wearing tire I've tried, much better than even the D739AT's.. My buddy has gone through 2 tires and my IT is just starting to look like it needs replacing, I could even turn it around for a couple more rides.. It's got about 300 miles at the colorado 500 (mostly highway this year) and then another 300 plus back in Washington/Oregon. I'm absolutely amazed with the life, I bought 4 to take to Baja this Winter.. You'll be real happy with the price too!!! They hook up great in the desert and are perfectly acceptable in the woods for a tire that's not really soft.. Soft is better in the woods if you can afford lots of tires. :):D

Ya, all my riding buddies are into Maxxis tires too. Price is great, and they wear well.

I got over 700 miles on my stock tire. I probably should have changed it around 600 though :)

Dave,

I just spooned on a set of M-12s and I could not believe the difference compared to the stock Dunlops. The front felt very planted and the rear hooked great. I am very impressed with the feel of these tires. Power-sliding wheelies are now a twist away.

I have over 100 trail miles on them now and they still look good. I got about 300 miles on the original tires. Knowing what I do now, I should have changed the tires before I started riding the bike.

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

Sadly, I'am glad to know atleast I got the typical for mileage anyway.And thanks all for the great advice on the M12's. I will try them as replacements. :) :usa:Thanks,Dirtstiff.

A buddy recommended the S-12's and I am extremely happy thus far. They seem to stick like glue. :)

A buddy recommended the S-12's and I am extremely happy thus far. They seem to stick like glue. :)

On my WR426 the S-12 sucks. I also flat spotted my front rim. They offer no sidewall rigidity and skate on the rocks like Nancy Kerrigan on ice. They are great for the track though. On my stock tires, I logged in 1000 miles. Believe it or not. And this is with a weekend of 300 miles in Moab too.

The M-12 on the rear is a good tire but not so good on the rocky terrain here in Utah. I'm going to try the Maxxis next.

Are they the Sur Cross series or the C6001 series or even the m7300 series tires.

I've been running pirelli mt 21s :) on the rear for a while now and they seem to outlast my mates metzelers, bridgestones and dunlops by a mile[1 or 200 actually, they've got huge knobs compared to most of the other brands, in that i mean a lot bigger surface area and reasonably tall as well.

i imagine u can get em in the states.

My friends and I have got some pretty good life out of IRC VE33 Volcanduros and Pirelli MT 16 rears out at the Trask and Browns Camp. I didn't like the Michelin S12 for any wet riding around these areas. It was the worst wearing and squirreliest tire I've ever tried. Just my opinion of course. :D:)

I think the 739's are terrible. I rode with them once and took them off. Where we ride here in the east, there is no use for a 739. Maybe if you live in the desert! I'm running a Bridgestone ED-11 up front with great success and an IRC VE-33 on the rear. My bike rides like it is on rails! It hooks up in EVERYTHING! Both of those tires are 6-ply as well making them quite tough.

I don't think any tire will last a LONG time on a WR 450 due to its power output and I'd see changing my rear tire every 150-200 miles . . . but I am a big fan of fresh tires. Would never go to a race without new rubber front and back!

I agree that the 739's don't work well in the east. We see mostly sandy conditions near hear but it quickly changes to big flat rock a 100 km north of here. I like the 756's since they seem to be a good comprimise for our varied conditions. If I rode track I probably feel different but being in the trees is were it's at. :)

Yep! In the trees, rocks, roots, and mud is where it is at!

Groomed moto tracks are for those who can't stand to get a little dirty or conquer real obstacles! :)

I think the 739's are terrible. I rode with them once and took them off. Where we ride here in the east, there is no use for a 739. Maybe if you live in the desert! I'm running a Bridgestone ED-11 up front with great success and an IRC VE-33 on the rear. My bike rides like it is on rails! It hooks up in EVERYTHING! Both of those tires are 6-ply as well making them quite tough.

I don't think any tire will last a LONG time on a WR 450 due to its power output and I'd see changing my rear tire every 150-200 miles . . . but I am a big fan of fresh tires. Would never go to a race without new rubber front and back!

Yes the 739s are terrible. Especially where I'm from (Hawaii). But here in the high desert of Utah they work great. And how can you complain with 1000 miles on them.

I myself preffered 756s back home in the woods of Hawaii. They worked great in the mud too.

I love Michelins on my dirt bike as well as my street bike. But Maxxis is next in line four the WR come spring. :)

How about you guys start sending me your tires when you get done with them. :) I put 1800 miles on the stocker and was still debating on changing it out. I'm kind of a tight arss though.

I'm running a Terraflex now. Don't like it much. Too soft for me. But I will run it till it's done.

Lowedog

Maxxis IT's are the best wearing tire I've tried, much better than even the D739AT's. I'm absolutely amazed with the life. You'll be real happy with the price too!!! They hook up great in the desert and are perfectly acceptable in the woods for a tire that's not really soft.. Soft is better in the woods if you can afford lots of tires. :):D

I second this experience the Maxxis ITs are the best tire around. I use mine in hardpack, sand, rocks, mud... I cannot find fault with this tire. The stock dunlops are the worst tires I have ever used.

How about you guys start sending me your tires when you get done with them. :) I put 1800 miles on the stocker and was still debating on changing it out. I'm kind of a tight arss though.

I'm running a Terraflex now. Don't like it much. Too soft for me. But I will run it till it's done.

Lowedog

Jeez bro, how'd you manage to let go with the cash to actually purchase a new motorcycle. Riding on tires that are way beyond their wear life isn't all that fun, even if you are a tight waud!!