HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

willcomsto

98-99 YZ400F Carb Swap with 05+ YZ450F

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what I am getting myself into by starting this project? I have found mention of the swap, but no real "how-to's"

Any help is appreciated!

Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/973452-found-a-good-deal-on-a-carb/page__view__findpost__p__10178563

The only "trick" to the whole thing is that the carb is a little bit shorter than the old FCR, so you have to stretch the air boot about 1/4" to make it work. The easiest thing is to clamp the air boot to the carb, then push it forward into the intake mounting sleeve.

Nothing else to it. Start with the stock 450 jetting if you have it.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what I am getting myself into by starting this project? I have found mention of the swap, but no real "how-to's"

Any help is appreciated!

If you know how to go though a carb I let you know where to get a newer Carb for a good price It might be a bolt on and go but I always tear them down clean them out very well before I put a carb on my bike.

A hour or so going though the carb could save you a big headach.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...st__p__10178563

The only "trick" to the whole thing is that the carb is a little bit shorter than the old FCR, so you have to stretch the air boot about 1/4" to make it work. The easiest thing is to clamp the air boot to the carb, then push it forward into the intake mounting sleeve.

Nothing else to it. Start with the stock 450 jetting if you have it.

Thanks for the info!

I think Ill be buying the carb this weekend, so I believe I am going to do my first attempt at a write-up on going through it and installing it.

Purchased the Carburetor yesterday, it's a 2008 YZ450F Carb with the Boyesen Quick Shot Accelerator Pump and a FMF Power Up kit. Picked it up for $175, shipped, looking forward to getting it so I can do my first write up!

If you know how to go though a carb I let you know where to get a newer Carb for a good price It might be a bolt on and go but I always tear them down clean them out very well before I put a carb on my bike.

A hour or so going though the carb could save you a big headach.

Yeah, I plan on at least going through and cleaning it. Wouldn't want something as simple as a glazed jet to ruin my frist start up day!