HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FinchFan194

Broke my darn header...

13 posts in this topic

So I have an 08 and I have a LeoVince slip-on so any header from 03-09 I can make work...I actually had an 04 on at one point.

Does anyone know what the difference are between the 03-07 headers? I already know an 08 or 09 will work for sure...

Heck while I am here does anyone have one they want to sell? PM me please.

I guess more specifically does anyone know if the ID is the same on an 06-07 as it was in 04?

If I'm not mistaken, the '07 has the same outlet diameter as the '08-'09, but it's smaller in the front 3/4 of the header, and stepped. If you're using any sort of slip-on for the '08, the '07 header should be a power improvement. I believe the outlet size of '03-'06 headers are smaller, and would need a sleeve/gasket to fit right.

Thanks Gray, I had an 04 header on the bike(until it cracked a few years ago) and it was much improved bottom end to the stock 08 header. I have the step down gasket for the slip-on if I need it.

Score! Located a stock 07 header from a friend. He says it has a dent, but that is better than a crack! Gray is there any threat to bursting the header with your freezer method?

Gray is there any threat to bursting the header with your freezer method?

I can't lay claim to inventing that trick, but no, if you leave the ends unplugged, there's no danger of breaking it. It's titanium, though, so it's wise not to rough handle it too much when it's really cold. if it's a significant dent, it will probably need more than one trip through the freezer.

Got the harder fitted up Gray, but the diameter of an 07 header is def smaller than the 08-09 headers. I am assuming that 07 down to 03 are all the same size. Took some fabbing, but I got her dialed. Thanks for the help.

If I remember correctly, the 07 header is larger at the midpipe than the 03-06 headers, but it is smaller than the 08-09 headers. 07 was kind of the inbetween year that has a stand-alone header diameter.

Thanks KJ.

Does anyone have a suggestion for making a donut gasket? The one I have is working, but after one or two times of taking it off I assume it will tear apart.

If you have access to a lathe I would machine an aluminum spacer like FMF uses with their exhausts. it is about 1-1/2" in length (the lengh of the midpipe-header overlap) and has an ID to match the header diameter and an OD to match the midpipe diameter. On one end it has a small lip on the inside (about the thickness of the header) to prevent it from being pushed onto the header too far, and on the other end it has a lip on the outside to prevent it from being pushed into the midpipe too far.

Score! Located a stock 07 header from a friend. He says it has a dent, but that is better than a crack! Gray is there any threat to bursting the header with your freezer method?

ok wait - whats the freezer trick? and does it only work for titianium exhausts?

ok wait - whats the freezer trick? and does it only work for titianium exhausts?

Fill the header with enough water to cover the the dent. Stand it up in a freezer so that the water will not run out, let it sit overnight and repeat as necessary. As the water freezes it expands and pushes the dent out. Sometimes you have to do it 4-5 times to get the dent out. It works on titanium or stainless headers. I wouldn't recommend it on two stroke pipes because the volume is so large on those that it tends to expand too much and split the pipe.