My 1987 KX125 Restoration

Just wanted to share my summer project with you all. Any advice or critique is welcome. I figured it would go well with #610 KX450F.

I have already restored my 2001 CR250, that is on that forum.

Thanks and here is where the pics are.

What I am shooting for.

1.jpg

Getting It Home. I have to be honest, and say I really lucked out on this core. So far, on Engine and Frame, I still have not found any breakage or stripped anything. I really got lucky, it was cared for to a point. Then again, some consumables were, well, see front brake cable. Total stupidity.

2.jpg

Teardown.

8.jpg

10.jpg

The Pile and Parts Bagged.

9.jpg

11.jpg

Forks, Carb and Shock Rebuilt.

4.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by JA_Allen

Oh, finding powervalves to restore this engine was tough. I really think there is a market for steel versions for years 1985 - 1989.

If I was a machinist, I would do it.

Cost me 200 on feebay for the whole setup from a blown 125. Guy I got them from was a good guy though. Others may not be as lucky as I was in the future...

Sad, there is still a market for great fun late two strokes.

JA

Edited by JA_Allen

Your link doesnt work.

I just put the pics up. Look at first post.

And I will post the rest now following. I will also add more detail in what I am doing from here on out.

Sorry about that.

Edited by JA_Allen

6.jpg

5.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

I am now finding, that the new oil for the shock, after rebuild, the shock has very little damping. May have to rework it.

I will post what I find and the steps to rebuild these older Kayaba shocks.

Edited by JA_Allen

The frame, subframe and swingarm were blasted and painted and baked as per the original, at my buds autoshop in Monroe, NC.

The paint was custom mixed Dupont Electrocoat.

I had one can of the old PJ1 honda silver that was very close to the kawasaki silver of that year, but the kawi silver was a very little bit

darker. So I told them mix to that can, and I will let the elements darken it the very little bit.

I would love to start racing in some Vintage,Ahrma races, though have not looked into it yet, but will get serious about it after rebuild.

Just for fun, the 2001 should be eligible soon as well for vintage stuff. Not sure.

I race +40 B now and heavy trail riding now, but getting slower... :-)

Edited by JA_Allen

Don't forget a new bottom out bumper on the shock.

Thanks for the info on the paint. I can not find anywhere that sells Silver #15 (OEM color). www.colorrite.com has the later frame colors, but not back to the 1986 / 1987 KX / KDX colors. ?

I have a 1987 KDX200 frame and a 1987 KX250 frame that I need to paint.

There is some guy off of a street bike forum for the Kawasaki KR1-S 250 forums (Killer GP crotch rocket 2 stroke race/street bike)

they are making the kips valve for the bike i believe outta steel machined I think it was costing like $600 for a set of 4 kips valve's I bet they could make you up something.

The kawie KR1-S is a sick bike I would LOVE!! to have one super rare state side I would like one so badly it's on the top of the list of next bikes I get and restore think of it as kawie's version of a KX street bike! made in '88 thru 92!

I think the two stroke god's heard me cause there was one for trade locally on cl's the ad appeared that day of my post's! and my friend is trading his one street bike for it going to pick it up saturday!! Almost seems unreal! of course i'll have to get pic's up of it.

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi

mark vintage swap meet is really good for buying and selling vmx bikes and parts.

are you planning on.doing any vmx events?

If I ever get behind a starting gate again it will only be vmx.

Check the frame close following the frame tubes up from the counter shaft side swing arm pivot.

I remember fast riders(National Pro Speed) being able to crack the frame. it was approx 7 to 12 inches up.

I always liked Kx only owned 2 ever

• Like 1

Frame was all checked after blasting. Was not one crack. Thanks for the links. I will def check that swap page out!

Back to the shock. I found what was wrong. The nitrogen valve core leaked. New core and all is good.

Also rear brakes are on, bled and checked after rebuild. No leaks. So far so good.

KDX Garage: I do want to get a shock bumber before reassembly, but so far cannot find one. Ill keep looking.

34.jpg

33.jpg

New valve core in.

35.jpg

Edited by JA_Allen