HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motoxvet

YZ-450F, 2010 and up...Any recommendation OR not?

6 posts in this topic

A friend was thinking of buying a 2010 YZ-450F and asked me what I thought of them. I know nothing about them and neither does he. Can anyone give me an overview of what it's like to own and ride one. This would be a woods bike, no MX. How about handling, power, reliability, advantage of the backward engine ? Any comments are appreciated since we know NOTHING about them.

Thanks

A friend was thinking of buying a 2010 YZ-450F and asked me what I thought of them. I know nothing about them and neither does he. Can anyone give me an overview of what it's like to own and ride one. This would be a woods bike, no MX. How about handling, power, reliability, advantage of the backward engine ? Any comments are appreciated since we know NOTHING about them.

Thanks

Handles good, good power, good reliability, like the backwards engine. I went from '08 450 to '10. Generally it's better than '08, not night/day different though . . . accept for FI, I LOVE that!

Depends on what type of woods . . . tight/technical stuff - I don't like my '10 450 there. (only mod I have is heavy flywheel though, I'm sure with other changes it would work better in tight stuff.)

But, If you're riding in more open woods/off-road stuff, it's a lotta fun!

I ride steep rocky mountain single track in Colorado, can't say enough great things about my 2010. JS7 gave it a bad wrap with the apparent "front end handling" being too light... Don't listen to all the hate. The best of the best pros may be able to notice a difference, but a normal rider will not. I personally love the front end being so light, it's easy to get out of tight spots. The fuel injection is also amazing and you can get your bike perfectly tuned for woods riding. It also completely eliminates the need for other accessories (fly weights, etc). Not sure why the above poster has a fly wheel weight on a EFI... Seems extremely counter-productive to me. :)

Not sure why the above poster has a fly wheel weight on a EFI... Seems extremely counter-productive to me. :)

How so? People often make the assumption that the only thing adding flywheel weight does is help prevent stalling, or that it will somehow slow the bike down. Neither assumption is true, and the last thing it would be on a bike ridden primarily under technical off-road conditions is "counterproductive".

Adding flywheel weight increases the rotating inertia of the crank assembly. It is true that doing this has a slightly negative impact on the engine's ability to accelerate suddenly, at least on a theoretical level, but the weight added is not enough to have any noticeably detrimental effect in acceleration through the gears, even comparing two like bikes, one with and one without added weight. The extra weight does show up as slightly increased traction, better throttle control at low RPM, and, most importantly, the engine runs more smoothly at low speeds and pulls harder at the very bottom of the range. Heavier flywheels add benefit for any off-road user of a YZ450, EFI or otherwise, regardless of whether it has fuel injection, an auto clutch, or whatever else installed.

I ride steep rocky mountain single track in Colorado, can't say enough great things about my 2010. JS7 gave it a bad wrap with the apparent "front end handling" being too light... Don't listen to all the hate. The best of the best pros may be able to notice a difference, but a normal rider will not. I personally love the front end being so light, it's easy to get out of tight spots. The fuel injection is also amazing and you can get your bike perfectly tuned for woods riding. It also completely eliminates the need for other accessories (fly weights, etc). Not sure why the above poster has a fly wheel weight on a EFI... Seems extremely counter-productive to me. :)

+1 what Gray said -

It's definitely better for off-road situations with FWW.

Icing on the cake is it's also better on MX track with FWW!!!!