How bad is bad? (cam journals scored)

I managed to do a real number on my cam journals. I have been checking the forums and several posts have suggested that Engine Dynamics in California can fix scored cam journals. But before I send my head down I am wondering if these are obviously too far gone...?

http://s300.photobuc...s/nn8/blazinar/

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news for me, Engine Dynamics said no go on my head. I have two questions: 1) Is it 06-09 that will work?

I don't think you ever mentioned what year yours was, but the heads in that range are interchangeable.

Oops, I really do have two questions, the other is am I correct in assuming that putting a used cam in a used head is a really bad idea?

It can be. The camshafts run very tight clearances, and a cam that was .0005" too tight could cause big problems all over again. Check the clearances as you assemble the head, with Plasti-Gage, the way the manual shows.

I just ordered a used head (with cams) from eBay. When it comes in I plan to check the cam clearances, is there anything else other than obvious damage/wear that I should be looking for?

Also, is there a way to check the oil pressure? I am a little concerned about what killed the head in the first place. The oil pickup was not plugged and it appears that the oil passages were clear. My guess is that I torqued the caps wrong or maybe the cheap base gasket I used failed (no more aftermarket gaskets for me btw). My plan is to pull the valve cover and check for oil after I get it together (maybe turn the engine over without starting until I can see fresh oil ? Suggestions?

Hey Gray I have a question I feel doesn't warrant a new thread. The cylinder head off my 2007 wr450 has very similar damage. I need to get it fixed soon and have been in contact with Engine Dynamics. Problem is they are about a month out right now because of a sudden flood of work and some events coming up. Anyways I was wondering if you knew of anyone else capable of repairing these? Thanks Gray!