Where can I get starter motor parts for my 07 wr 450

Actually what goes bad most often in these is the bushing in the rear of the starter housing.

You will find that you cannot order this bushing or the bearing in the front of the starter from Yamaha. In fact, nobody stocks the exact size of the bushing.

A competent starter repair shop can usually make a bushing from something that is "close" but it puts the cost of the repair up a lot higher.

After extensive searching I was able to find what looks like an acceptable replacement:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8619

It is a roller bearing with the same diameter dimensions. I have a few on hand now to try when the next starter failure occurs. Looks like they should work and hopefully hold up better than the bushing does. I don't know about the bearing in the front of the housing, have not had one of those go bad yet.

You can buy the brushes and o-rings from Yamaha but that alone isn't going to get the starter motor back to 100%.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Actually what goes bad most often in these is the bushing in the rear of the starter housing.

You will find that you cannot order this bushing or the bearing in the front of the starter from Yamaha. In fact, nobody stocks the exact size of the bushing.

A competent starter repair shop can usually make a bushing from something that is "close" but it puts the cost of the repair up a lot higher.

After extensive searching I was able to find what looks like an acceptable replacement:

http://www.vxb.com/p...gs/PROD/Kit8619

It is a roller bearing with the same diameter dimensions. I have a few on hand now to try when the next starter failure occurs. Looks like they should work and hopefully hold up better than the bushing does. I don't know about the bearing in the front of the housing, have not had one of those go bad yet.

You can buy the brushes and o-rings from Yamaha but that alone isn't going to get the starter motor back to 100%.

Have you tried the bearing out yet? My starter has done the same thing so I ordered one tonight, I figured if it doesn't work I'm only out a few bucks..

I also found this site with a smokin deal on a new starter in case it all goes horribly wrong!

http://www.motorcityreman.com/yaoe5t5t1.html

I'll post my results with the bearing, I'm nervous about the height but I have measured and there should be just enough room for it, fingers crossed..

My next option will be to have a machinest buddy make me a bushing to the correct size. Hats off to Yamaha for not offering this part ?

Have you tried the bearing out yet? My starter has done the same thing so I ordered one tonight, I figured if it doesn't work I'm only out a few bucks..

I also found this site with a smokin deal on a new starter in case it all goes horribly wrong!

http://www.motorcity.../yaoe5t5t1.html

I'll post my results with the bearing, I'm nervous about the height but I have measured and there should be just enough room for it, fingers crossed..

My next option will be to have a machinest buddy make me a bushing to the correct size. Hats off to Yamaha for not offering this part ?

I just repaired a starter using the bearing... so far so good. Just make sure it is packed with a good high temp grease, but not too much.

• Like 1

I just repaired a starter using the bearing... so far so good. Just make sure it is packed with a good high temp grease, but not too much.

Thanks!! I will have it next Tuesday. I will be tickled if I can get it going for five bucks!! My wife digs frugal at least when it comes to my stuff.

Did you have any issues pressing it in or anything?

Got the bearing early from amazon.com for under 5.00 dollars!

It showed up Saturday so I ran to garage like an excited school girl to install it. I knew it would be too long compared to the bushing but it looks like there is enough clearance for the shaft to spin freely and so far it seems fine. I may still buy a new starter soon as mine is showing to be on the limits for wear, but I will mod the new one before I install with one of these bearings or if something dosn't work I will have a custom bushing made. I will have the new end cap bored deeper to accomdate the bearing or a longer bushing either way. I will let everyone know how it works over the next few months.

Thanks for thre info on the bearing!

Hmm. Well only OK news to report. First the good then the bad, and please any advice is welcome, making this thing e-start is becoming a matter of pride now.

The good: The starter does sound good now, no horrible screech and it does seem to turn over faster than before (about anything would have). And installation was easy for the bearing. I don't like that it sticks out a mm or so from the housing still but there is still end play on shaft. I put the shielded end of the bearing facing out.

The not so good: My bike still doesn't e-start! It seems to me the starter doesn't crank the engine over quick enough. My bike is a 90% first kick, kick starter, hot or cold so I don't think its jetting, valves, etc... And I have a brand new fully charged shoari battery plus I have cleaned all connections.. The usual suspects.

I suspect the fact that the armature was worn below spec (16.5 for mine, factory min is 16.6mm). I did clean and go over everything and everything else is ok and in spec even though the brushes look a little rough they were in spec?? I can't figure why the armature was so badly worn? Maybe the prev owner cranked it to death, or the dirt from the bushing self destruct wore it? regardless I will get a new starter, disassemble it and take the end cap to a friend at a machine shop for him to modify it to accept either a bearing or a beefier bushing, that will be the true test.

I will talk to my nephews (both automotive engineers) about which is better, bushing or bearing.. then maybe I will have a e-start bike?

bushing, will require a boring out of the end cap to 14mm and shorting of the bushing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040GKBDQ/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

bearing, will require a deeper hole in end cap

http://www.amazon.com/INA-Bearing-25000rpm-Rotational-Capacity/dp/B007D9LEO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1345641340&sr=1-1&keywords=9mm+13mm+bearing

http://www.amazon.com/HK0908-Bearing-TLA908Z-Miniature-Bearings/dp/B002IFZFVO/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1345642707&sr=1-2&keywords=hk+0908

New starter at much better than OEM price

http://www.motorcityreman.com/yaoe5t5t1.html

Not sure how I will sleep at night untill I can use the button to start my bike??

Hmm. Well only OK news to report. First the good then the bad, and please any advice is welcome, making this thing e-start is becoming a matter of pride now.

The good: The starter does sound good now, no horrible screech and it does seem to turn over faster than before (about anything would have). And installation was easy for the bearing. I don't like that it sticks out a mm or so from the housing still but there is still end play on shaft. I put the shielded end of the bearing facing out.

The not so good: My bike still doesn't e-start! It seems to me the starter doesn't crank the engine over quick enough. My bike is a 90% first kick, kick starter, hot or cold so I don't think its jetting, valves, etc... And I have a brand new fully charged shoari battery plus I have cleaned all connections.. The usual suspects.

I suspect the fact that the armature was worn below spec (16.5 for mine, factory min is 16.6mm). I did clean and go over everything and everything else is ok and in spec even though the brushes look a little rough they were in spec?? I can't figure why the armature was so badly worn? Maybe the prev owner cranked it to death, or the dirt from the bushing self destruct wore it? regardless I will get a new starter, disassemble it and take the end cap to a friend at a machine shop for him to modify it to accept either a bearing or a beefier bushing, that will be the true test.

I will talk to my nephews (both automotive engineers) about which is better, bushing or bearing.. then maybe I will have a e-start bike?

Problems with the armature would be my guess... if the new bearing is not binding and you can freely turn the shaft by hand it should not be a factor.

New brushes would be ideal but if yours were still within spec it should at least spin it over enough to start it, assuming the armature was OK.

People do tend to abuse these starters at times, and they are weak to begin with. Possible when it started to go south with the previous owner he just kept hitting it more hoping it would start eventually, which of course just made it worse.

A properly installed and greased bearing should outlive a bushing.

bushing, will require a boring out of the end cap to 14mm and shorting of the bushing

http://www.amazon.co...f=biss_dp_t_asn

A lot of work... there are 9x13 bushings out there that only require cutting the bushing to proper length

Your first link will definitely require a deeper hole in the end cap of the starter, but it seems to be for no net gain since the extra space is just wasted by the end cap of the bearing.

The second link is the bearing I have used (and you also). It fits with no modifications.

New starter at much better than OEM price

http://www.motorcity.../yaoe5t5t1.html

Not sure how I will sleep at night untill I can use the button to start my bike??

Shouldn't have to buy a new starter just for failures of $4 parts! Yamaha fails here... well it is a win for them because they sell a lot more starters but fail for the customer because it leaves a bitter taste...

That motor city link is a good price over Yamaha... wonder where they are getting those starters from since I have not come across an abundance of third party WR450 starters for sale...

We are on the same page deeppurplishblue, I will get a new starter ordered as soon as I have the cash.. My 15 year old boots and helmet fell apart first ride (not to mention a fifteen year old helmet is wearing me for protection instead of vice-versa, doh!) so cash for bike stuff is a little tight right now.

I will call motor city reman to verify that it is indeed a new OEM mitsuba starter like it looks to be first.

I agree that a bearing seems the way to go but my college drop out arse dosn't know a lot of things so I will pick the brain of people who design stuff for a living but I bet that the bushing is simply a cost saving measure for the manufacturer. I can't imagine why it is a 13mm OD as that isn't a JASO standard size? perhaps to make replacement parts more difficult?

Thankfully it does kick start easy as the LBL 200 trail ride is in a couple weeks, I won't be wowing people there with my fancy e-start scooter for sure!

• 1 month later...

OK, Starter update time!

So my brother and I go riding together finally this year.. Hey it's ony October I know but we hadn't ridden dirt bikes together in almost 15 years.. Long story but anyways, we switch bikes during the day to compare and he fires mine right up with the estart! I think ok beginners luck right but he does it like six more times. I'm in shock and like OK how are you doing that? He says just slightly crack the throttle after engine cranks over cause its a touch rich at full idle, he says some bike are just that way (He's a engine and suspension builder for the stars so he should know)..

Well I guess I'll always be the little brother but damn it fires right up now as soon as I crack the throttle open. I could try a 45 pilot again but had a slight lean spot at 1/16-1/8 so I can live with starting procedures v.s. jetting issues plus it starts just looking at the kick starter still so maybe a fresh starter will make it a non issue, but for now I'm a happy bunny!

• Like 1

I can do that as soon as things cool off a bit from ordering new boots, helmet and enduro jacket... Sounds like a good winter project along with the wrist pin oil mod. A good Saturday running milling machines, with adult supervision of course!