2014 YZ450f Prediction/Wish List

The 2010 YZ450f was a quirky bike; it feels easy to move while riding than the model it replaced but was heavier, it handles differently when on or off the throttle, and it is physically the largest 450 on the market but you can’t change the air filter if you have hands that need large gloves. None of these issues are major faults, just things you have to live with (or fix yourself) if you chose a blue (or white) 450.

When the 2011-13 only received minor (but meaningful) updates, it really had me wondering what they had in store for the next gen. I thought for sure that the ’12 would have (slight) geometry changes to address the front end issues, same for ’13. Now I have no idea what to expect… But I know what I would like to see.

-Frame changes that addresses the front end issues

-Less tools needed to get to the Air Box

-Air suspension

-Hydraulic clutch

-Drop at least 5lbs of weight (hardest one to do I am sure)

Anything I am missing?

Edited by aja342

On a somewhat related note...."Jason Thomas said he heard from a good source that Yamaha is telling Wilson that any reservations he has about the backward-engine YZ450F can be eased by a new model coming out for 2014 and one that he could potentially ride 2013 outdoors if they can get it homologated fast enough. So the big question is if this is enough to ease Wilson’s mind on the Yamaha, which is quickly proving that perception is reality. I don’t believe the machine is the best one out there, but it’s also not the worst bike ever and a career-killer like others have made it out to be. Truthfully, the truth lies somewhere in the middle."

http://racerxonline.com/2012/07/13/racerhead-28

As for the looks: A little more sleeker plastic and more aggresive design would be nice .

Chassi: a little more forgiving chassi that are built to suit more riders, just to get rid of the bashing.

A rearshock that won't fade as easy.

I like the current clutch so no need for change there.

A little easier way getting to the airfilter.

Keep the SSS fork ....AMAZING !

i dont own one but i want a 2010 yz450f but i would like to see on coming models is:-

air forks

skid plate stock

less weight

8.2 litre tank

hydraulic clutch

bar riser's

and a few annodized bits

optional enduro kit including the following:`

reg gear

special edition sticker kit..(they add 15 hp)

handguards (full wrap around)

FWW

radiator braces

If they switch back to the old configuration I will be kind of disappointed. I could make the airbox better easy, it should not take more than 4 bolts to get to it (2 for seat and 2 to hold the tank in place where the airbox top cover is). I love not being worried if I am going to melt my leg on the pipe. Adjusting the sag without having to be at just the right angle is very nice. It just seems like a waist to go back unless there is a HUGE advantage.

I wish they would build a mx version of the 2013 WR 450. A fuel injected 450 motor in the YZ 250f frame. Sounds like it could be pretty sweet!

This is surely the route Yamaha will choose. I would not be surprised to see some of the teams, maybe even JGR, take this bike to the track as their racer as early as 2013 SX series.

Edited by thsp485

The air filter process gets too much scrutiny. It really isn't that bad. My biggest beef with my bike is how much of a pain in the ass it is to get a wrench that works on the lower drain plug.

The air filter process gets too much scrutiny. It really isn't that bad. My biggest beef with my bike is how much of a pain in the ass it is to get a wrench that works on the lower drain plug.

agreed on the air filter...... i dont know why people complain about it. all my buddies agree that the 5mins more of wrenching to service the filter is worth it for now not having the header so vonerable to smashing.

i never thought that getting at the drain bolt was difficult, but i can see how it may be. my 12mm happens to be a snap-on wrench. that that has a lower profile and fits fine

I see picture 2014 yzf 450 what i can see small foto. Airfilter box have complety new desing those big radiator scoops

are gone. Frame i cant say much looks same but sure modifications. And numberplates have new desing. Engine is looking same but again sure modifications.

agreed on the air filter...... i dont know why people complain about it. all my buddies agree that the 5mins more of wrenching to service the filter is worth it for now not having the header so vonerable to smashing.

i never thought that getting at the drain bolt was difficult, but i can see how it may be. my 12mm happens to be a snap-on wrench. that that has a lower profile and fits fine

That and the fact that the intake actually works like a true ram air is worth a minute or two more.

I found a lo-pro box end wrench to change the oil but it's still a pain in the ass as the frame rail is right there.

Look, the bashing of the bike is really unwarranted. The bike is really a good piece of equipment. JS7 won the first race he rode on it in 2010, just that the next race he crashed into Kyle Partridge, and that was his season right there. Tedesco did well on it up till St. Louis, and he biffed it on the same jump that RV did in 2010 and broke his lower leg. Last time Ivan ran as a top three finisher in SX, BTW

Jason Lawrence did fine on it as did Grant Langston. Those two got consistent top 10 finishes. And Josh Hill, ran with the red plate for a few weeks in 2010 before he became mental case with the pressure of the championship after his teammate JS7 was sidelined.

Outdoors it was good too. Then all hell broke lose because JS7 can't win on the thing, so the bike must suck. Make a long story short. He couldn't keep the Yamaha on two wheels, and he sure as hell can't do it on a Suzuki either. I think it's time for the bashing to stop. I don't ride near JS7 speed, and neither do you. If he does have a problem, maybe he is just to fast for any bike.

I have had 3 Yamahas since 2010 and I think they are the bomb. I am over 50, but still win the over 30 A class on occasion. The bike is good, but since hardly anyone knows it, you don't know how much an advantage I have!! Keep buying those Hondas and Kawasakis. Those Kawis are good, but worn out at 20 hours from what I can see. My 2010 has about 100 hours on it and is my primary practice bike, and I never have to do anything but tires, brakes and rotors, oil changes and air filter changes. I think the air filter changes are a snap, and I don't have to worry about dirt falling down into the boot either.

• Like 2

I see picture 2014 yzf 450 what i can see small foto. Airfilter box have complety new desing those big radiator scoops

are gone. Frame i cant say much looks same but sure modifications. And numberplates have new desing. Engine is looking same but again sure modifications.

This must be the most interesting post in this thread ! ....a guy claiming to have seen an actuall picture of 2014 yz450f !!! ?

If this has any truth to it ? , SHOW THE PIC !!!

I don't own, or have ever ridden the newer style yz 450, I have an 09 and its awesome, but I don't see how that bike is so terrible, Whibs smashes on it in GNCC, and so did Thad Duvall last year, my only request for the 14 would be that someone donates one to me, haha

-Frame changes that addresses the front end issues

What are you referring to?  Do you want it to be more forgiving in riding position like the Suzuki?

I would look for the exhaust to come back around the front, just like the 13 wr.  

-Less tools needed to get to the Air Box

This should get resolved w/ the new frame, but truth be told, I prefer this set up when accessing the airbox.  I can see the whole air-filter, without having to remove the filter, unlike the other bikes w/ round filters

-Air suspension

If it works, hopefully.  Should help to bring down the weight.

-Hydraulic clutch

Can be added aftermarket, I'd prefer a rekluse, but to each their own.

-Drop at least 5lbs of weight (hardest one to do I am sure)

Has Yamaha ever worried about being the lighest bike?  It would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd put that at the top of the list.  The Rmz and Kx both weigh more, but the guys that I know who ride them don't complain about weight.

Anything I am missing?

The bike needs to  slimmer, and have better brakes!

Edited by yzfrider1

i noticed a lot of people r looking for geom. changes and what not, personally i loved every single thing about my '12. i am 6'1 about 220. and the bike works amazing for me, and i am no goon lol. i race local pro, and had my suspension set, and thats all!

the only thing i would like to see is a more eff. air box system. the stock is good, but could be better