Chain Maint ?

I need some advice on chain maint. I just put a new chain on the bike and it's a Renthal gold non O-Ring.

What is the easiest way to clean the chain and lube it.

What lube do you recommend?

I have been using belray chain lube and Maxim chain wax. The problem I have found with the two lubes that they seem to collect a ton of dirt. Is there something simpler to use as a lube that won't clog the chain with dirt and require as frequent cleaning?

After every ride (at the end of the day) or wash I use WD-40 and a nylon brush to “clean” my chain. I’ll let it sit overnight and then in the morning I use Bel-Ray Super Clean on the top and bottom of the rollers. I haven’t had any problems with the Bel-Ray collecting dirt. Bel-Ray chain lube does need to cure for about 15 to 30 minutes depending on the temperature, otherwise it is real tacky.

I use chain wax and I've been on the stock chain now for a few months and it's hanging in there. If it's muddy out I'll remove the chain and soak it in degreaser and brush it to get the dirt off, rinse and dry it and then regrease with chain wax before the next ride. If it's not muddy then I'll just spray it when I wash the bike (let it idle in gear on the stand or something) and then dry it and regrease with chain wax. Seems to be lasting well for a stock chain and the chain wax doesn't collect much dirt at all once it's cured and there is absolutely zero fling off (be sure to let it dry for a while before you ride!).

Hmm, sounds like I need to let the lube set up for a while before riding. I see one big mistake right away, I normally give it a shot or two at the track right when I take off.

As for the WD-40 I will try that when I do the wash and see how clean it gets.

Degreaser was also mentioned any recommendations?

Thanks for the posts, I have learned another bit of useful info.

Tom

Found a great chain cleaner from http://www.mooseoffroad.com. It's a small plastic device with rotating brushes that you slide on the chain and then rotated the wheel. The cleaning solution that comes with it is great and doesn't knock you out. After that I have found that MOTUL Offroad Chain Lube is absolutely the best..way better than all the BelRay ones I've tried!!

Found a great chain cleaner from http://www.mooseoffroad.com. It's a small plastic device with rotating brushes that you slide on the chain and then rotated the wheel. The cleaning solution that comes with it is great and doesn't knock you out. After that I have found that MOTUL Offroad Chain Lube is absolutely the best..way better than all the BelRay ones I've tried!!

Oh, BTW...I was told to NEVER use WD-40 on an o-ring chain...it eats the o-ring...makes sense since it mostly solvent. I did try it once and had the chain sticking to the sprocket and making all kinds of noise!!

Just my $.02

I use Finish Line Endurance Synthetic Motorcycle chain lube. This stuff repels dirt and water. After a ride in the woods,I just hose off the bike and reapply. The chain never rusts and I have not had to clean it with solvent.

i take my chain off when i wash the bike every time,sounds tedious, but it works,then i can clen the sprockets goo when i wash,then i throw the chain in a can of solvent(non o ring only) made by berryman(they also make carb cleaner) this loosens up the grime good, then i use a wire brush(non o ring only) and that finishes it off,rinse again in solvent,let it sit and dry for a few hours or overnight,install and re-lube and your good to go! i got about 6 months of use out of the stock chain and sprockets on my 426!!!for orings just use a soft brush to get off the loose stuff and lube it....

------------------

GOT DIRT?

2001 yz 426

1998 gsx-r 750

[This message has been edited by screamin426 (edited October 21, 2001).]