Battery isn't recharging when riding

I just put in a new battery and rectifier in my '99 WR400 bout a week ago. I'll recharge the battery again with a charger tomorrow, but for some reason riding around doesn't help keep my battery charged. Is there anything obvious I can check? Any ideas?

Edited by kt4

A few questions first to get to ground level on your bike. Do you have extra lighting? Have you checked the fuse. Have you checked the Grounds? Do you have voltage (dc) out of the rectifier w/the motor running? Do you have voltage (ac) in to the rectifier w/the motor running? let us know where you are stuck then we can help better.

Edited by allterra

Okay I checked some things and this is what I found. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to fixing and building things on my WR but even more of a newb when it comes to electrical things. Bare with me on this terrible explination haha

So the battery can hold a charge no problem, thats fine.

The stator is producing plenty of power to power up the lights, blinkers, etc. that works fine.

But the problem comes when I hooked up the volt meter to the system right between the rectifier and battery. Basically taking the battery out of the equasion. When idleing, the bike read a few volts or so, then when I hit the throttle the volts drop.

I'm unbelieveably confused and would hate to resort to paying a shop or baja designs to check it out. Could the wiring of the bike be incorrect? Could there be a problem with the electrical ground? I appreciate the help

Okay I checked some things and this is what I found. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to fixing and building things on my WR but even more of a newb when it comes to electrical things. Bare with me on this terrible explination haha

So the battery can hold a charge no problem, thats fine.

The stator is producing plenty of power to power up the lights, blinkers, etc. that works fine.

But the problem comes when I hooked up the volt meter to the system right between the rectifier and battery. Basically taking the battery out of the equasion. When idleing, the bike read a few volts or so, then when I hit the throttle the volts drop.

I'm unbelieveably confused and would hate to resort to paying a shop or baja designs to check it out. Could the wiring of the bike be incorrect? Could there be a problem with the electrical ground? I appreciate the help

check the voltage going "in" to the rectifier. If that voltage is there, then the rectifier is the problem.

If not, then you need to replace the stator. The wr has two different windings on the stator (doesn't it?). Its possible for the ac voltage to be fine and the dc side of it to be malfunctioning.

Do you have a manual. It tells you specifically how to troubleshoot this...