HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
va426

WR Conversion

8 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of procuring the parts necessary to street legal my YZ. Am I correct that the three WR parts needed for the conversion are?:

5NG-85560-00-00 (STATOR)

5NG-85550-00-00 (FLYWHEEL)

5GS-81910-50-00 (REGULATOR/RECTIFIER)

Would it behoove me to procure a WR harness as well? Also, do I need a WR CDI, or will the YZ CDI function?

You can run the WR stator with the YZ CDI IF you do the mod shown here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10674552#post10674552

Beyond that, the WR harness may be handy to cut terminals from, but it isn't really needed. You can connect your lighting with a harness you build yourself. See the manual for the OEM schematic.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx

Thank you so very much for the info!

I have a 2000 WR400 frame and subframe that I am going to be swapping with my 2001 YZ426 stuff. There shouldn't be a problem in regards to fitment, right? The mounting points look very similar and I can't imagine them not interchanging. The only questionable things would be if the swing arm and triples swap, but I am thinking that most everything should be workable.

I also have a WR400 bottom end that I am contemplating on removing the gears from....I heard that the gearing could interchange. I don't think they changed a lot from the 400s to the 426s other than the crank, rod, and piston, correct?

The 426 clutch is considerably bigger and stronger, and takes a larger case cover to enclose it, but the trans should drop straight in.

Thanks again for the help. I'm working on a wr400/yz426 supermoto project. I'm sure this will be an interesting puzzle.