Sedona MX887IT? Review from like riders.

I have less than a 1/4 of my tread left it's definately time for a new tire. I am hoping that someone here has used this tire for other than the motocross track. I ride in woods trails packed and freshly broken, asphalt, sand and swamp mud in that order of amounts. The tread looks a lot like the starcross which I liked the traction but it seemed to wear and chunk quickly. I don't expect to find the perfect tire for all my terrians but I was hopeing a few of you may know something of these or other tires of the likes. I know 1 question and 2 riders gives you 6 opinions but they all do help some. thanks

Don't do it!

I rode a pair of the Sedona tires and actually took them back after 1 ride. The main problem was the front but the rear wasn't all that great either.

The biggest problem I had with the front tire was a tendency to understeer until it scrubbed off enough speed and then it would suddenly bite and take off in the direction I was originally intending to go, albeit a few feet further down the trail than I wanted.

The rear tire just didn't have much grip at all. I couldn't tell whether it was a tread pattern or compound issue but in general, I expect a lot better performance from a new tire. Neither of these tires offered it.

Cheap, but not really worth the money. Spend another $20 per tire if you can afford it, you'll be much happier.

trailhead :devil:

I have only used the rear tire so I cannot comment on the front tire. However I so picky about front tires on both my WR and YZ that I will not be using one.

The Sedona rear tire has one of if not the stiffest tire carcasses that i have ever changed. This is the most difficult tire i have ever mounted and i mount all my tires myself. Much stiffer than a Maxxis IT Desert 120.

The tire seemed to get decent traction I had no traction problems at first. The cornering was on par with a Maxxis Desert IT nothing special but nothing bad.

This is one of the fastest wearing tires i have ever used! I believe it must be the stiff tire carcass with relatively soft knobs but the WR just ripped the knobs off this tire. some chunk-ed and the rest just wore down quick. This tire wore down to 1/4" tall center knobs in one enduro (90 miles of desert rocks and hills) and one trail ride (75 miles)

I got this tire Cheap at Cycle Gear for 45$ I am always on the the lookout for tires on sale. At that price I might try the rear again but I will most likely not use this tire again.

Get a Desert IT and be done.

Don't do it!

I rode a pair of the Sedona tires and actually took them back after 1 ride.

Who sold them to you that they will accept used tire returns?

Now that is Customer Service

Who sold them to you that they will accept used tire returns?

Now that is Customer Service

Cycle Gear. At first they weren't going to do it but then I reminded them of their 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Had 'em by the sack with that one. They gave me store credit which was fine with me.

trailhead :devil:

The Sedona tires are just for looks. The rubber breaks off along with numerous other deficiencies. Please save yourself the time and money. You can go get take offs from your local shop that will work MUCH better than a brand new Sedona 887. Plus they will feel so sorry for you that they will probably hook you up for a tire for near cost and put it on for you for another $10. Here is my review if you want to see the shocking pictures of what happened to a pair of Sedona tires that came (in new condition) on a used bike I bought. I was happy that the bike came with them new because I always wanted to try some out but I know you get what you pay for so I never could bring myself to be caught buying them at my local Cycle Gear. So I did a top end job on this RMZ250 I bought and shredded the tires in the first 40 minutes of riding! You be the judge but first look at the pictures of the knobbies ripped off of these Sedona tires http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=2037 .

The Sedona tires are just for looks. The rubber breaks off along with numerous other deficiencies. Please save yourself the time and money. You can go get take offs from your local shop that will work MUCH better than a brand new Sedona 887. Plus they will feel so sorry for you that they will probably hook you up for a tire for near cost and put it on for you for another $10. Here is my review if you want to see the shocking pictures of what happened to a pair of Sedona tires that came (in new condition) on a used bike I bought. I was happy that the bike came with them new because I always wanted to try some out but I know you get what you pay for so I never could bring myself to be caught buying them at my local Cycle Gear. So I did a top end job on this RMZ250 I bought and shredded the tires in the first 40 minutes of riding! You be the judge but first look at the pictures of the knobbies ripped off of these Sedona tires http://www.fourwheel...read.php?t=2037 .

Fix that front brake hose before you get hurt. Will take about three minutes, do it.

Cheap tires are never a bargain. Pirellis MT-16's are great east coast tires and last a long time.

The rear is a better tire than the front.

*edit* I was in the middle of servicing the bike so I just had assembled things loosely to roll it around. I went ahead and went through the forks after that picture so I did tighten stuff down the right way. Good eye George. Yeah and no matter what I do to the forks they don't touch the performance of the newer twin tubes. I'll have to upgrade to a newer set one of these days.

Beezer I put a set of MT-21's on a dual sport bike I have and they work better than I expected. I might have try out the 16s like you said.

Edited by Smitherz

For desert and singletrack in california, I have ridden on the sedona rear and actually liked it.  With all the bad reviews perhaps I got the rare good one  :confused:

Realize this thread is a few years old -- but I'm gonna offer my 2 cents anyway.

I've been running a Sedona MX887 on the rear for a year now. I bought it after a friend, who is far faster than I (mine - WR450, his - 450 EXC) am. We both ride rocky, rocky (did I mention rocky?) double track above 9,000 feet here in the Rockies.

Good traction, good wear, no chunking. Stiff sidewall. I am just about to replace front and rear with a new set.

That is my take. 

I have less than a 1/4 of my tread left it's definately time for a new tire. I am hoping that someone here has used this tire for other than the motocross track. I ride in woods trails packed and freshly broken, asphalt, sand and swamp mud in that order of amounts. The tread looks a lot like the starcross which I liked the traction but it seemed to wear and chunk quickly. I don't expect to find the perfect tire for all my terrians but I was hopeing a few of you may know something of these or other tires of the likes. I know 1 question and 2 riders gives you 6 opinions but they all do help some. thanks

Really stiff

Really hard to feel the traction level

Average to poor grip on hard surfaces

Poor to terrible grip on soft surfaces 

Extremely long wearing.

....one of the worst tires out there for perfromance, and one of the longest lasting.

You would be much better off with a  IRC M5B, or Pirelli Enduro Extra-X, unless you like mostly hard surfaces.

I like Kenda Washougal -2 even better, but they don't last very long.

I tried one back in 2012 on my 2009 CRF450X.

Regretted it to the point that I couldn't wait to finish the first ride on it so I could take it back off.

Why?

The tire felt like and weighed like a tire made in 1951:

Heavy, stiff, crude, and bounced off of every rock and hard impact in sight instead of absorbing those hits.

Give me a Bridgestone M22 (now discontinued), M604 (also discontinued), or X40.

MUCH better at everything.

Edited by YZEtc