What to do after flooding the bike?

On the weekend I rode through a puddle that went up to the seat and the bike went glug glug and died, so I pulled it out. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and started kicking it, finally got it started and it ran kinda crappy for the first bit, if I turned it off it was hard to start again. After about an hour it seemed fine again, but is there anything I should do besides clean out the filter?

I hoPe that puddle was full of crystal clear glacier water, or else you've done some serious damage to the engine.

Even if the water was clean, it's not a two stroke. The minute your oil gets water in it, you might as well have drained it out and run the engine dry. Would have accomplished the same result.

On the weekend I rode through a puddle that went up to the seat and the bike went glug glug and died, so I pulled it out. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and started kicking it, finally got it started and it ran kinda crappy for the first bit, if I turned it off it was hard to start again. After about an hour it seemed fine again, but is there anything I should do besides clean out the filter?

I have drowned my bike more than once. Sounds like you had some water in the carburetor and the exhaust. Thats why it ran like crap for a while. After the water cleared out, you were good to go.

change your oil. You can flush your engine a bit. the old trick is to get some cheap oil, mix it 70/30 with diesel fuel, run it long enough to warm it up (do not ride it), then drain it out and change the filter. Run another quart through there, warm it up real good, change the filter again. Drain it, put in your good oil and a new filter, go ride your bike.

No reason at all to think you've done any serious damage to the engine, especially since you rode it afterwards. But, the thing to do is to get some fresh oil and a new filter in the bike. check the packing in your exhaust. If it got wet, then its probably trashed.

Edited by mauricedorris

maurice x2. change that oil out asap. check your coolant as well. clean air filter, clean air box. I've sunk my fair share of things... next time you get in deep water try to cut the engine before it's too late.... seen way too many people bend a rod trying to make deep mud holes. If you cant start the bike after dumping it in water, pull the spark plug and kick it a while. Also drain your carb bowl immediately. You can tip your bike up and on its side to drain the exhaust out if needed too.

Edited by n16ht5

Ok I'll change the oil once i get home, how do you drain the carb bowl?

This is what we often do to get the bike running again after drown it :devil:

1, lift it up for a while so the water in the exhaust and air box can get out :ride:

DSCF0328.jpg

2, Squeez & lwhip the air filter if it is soaked with water.

3, Drain the Carb with the 17 screw in the bottom or the hex screw on side.

4, Give it some kicks to push the water completely out of the exhaust system, then open the petcock, it should fire back again.

5, Check the oil to see if water get in (the color may looks like milk coffee) and change the oil soon as possible as Mauricedorris does

Edited by CaocaoWR

Ok I'll change the oil once i get home, how do you drain the carb bowl?

On the bottom of the carb, there is a little hex screw. I think its 3mm. Open it and it will drain all the fuel out. Cut off the fuel supply first. then drain the carb til no gas is running out.. Then close the drain screw. Open the pet cock and fill the car with gas again. Drain a little out.. Then you should be good.

This is what we often do to get the bike running again after drown it :devil:

1, lift it up for a while so the water in the exhaust and air box can get out :ride:

DSCF0328.jpg

2, Squeez & lwhip the air filter if it is soaked with water.

3, Drain the Carb with the 17 screw in the bottom or the hex screw on side.

4, Give it some kicks to push the water completely out of the exhaust system, then open the petcock, it should fire back again.

5, Check the oil to see if water get in (the color may looks like milk coffee) and change the oil soon as possible as Mauricedorris does

Had to do this a few times also. No big deal.