HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HRC

Yamaha release 2013 models june 6

31 posts in this topic

Dont expect anything big on either the 250f or 450f...motorcycle industry is hurting and Yamaha seems to wait a couple of more years before any changes

But at least they show off the new line tomorrow.

I was kinda thinking (maybe more hoping) that the quiet might mean some big changes. Maybe a new 250f motor or some big tweaks to the 450. To be honest, I think they are great bikes as is, but some changes might give them a little more exposure, since right now it seems like the general public kinda bashes on both bikes for 1 reason or another.

Yes it sad, Yamaha get alot of trash for no real reason. Both bikes are great for the general public. But I think Yamaha really needs to step up with something before they get ignored by the public

Agreed. I feel like the 250f has the suspension and chassis dialed. I don't mind the carb and the power is easy to get out of it, for cheap. But most people want the latest and greatest and with efi, air forks etc, Yamaha is gonna have to do something to stay up there with public demands (even though it might not even really make it a 'better' bike). I don't own a current Yam 450 but it seems to me that maybe gettin a bit more weight to the front of the bike (like the relocation kits) and maybe slimming it down would do the trick.

What do you mean 'step up' ?? they have the best 250f and 450f on the market atm, efi, air forks are just gimmicks at the end of the day to get people to buy the latest model. Go to the track theres a reason why at least 50% are riding blue!!

What do you mean 'step up' ?? they have the best 250f and 450f on the market atm, efi, air forks are just gimmicks at the end of the day to get people to buy the latest model. Go to the track theres a reason why at least 50% are riding blue!!

Personally I don't think they need any changes right now, I love my -12 yz450f ! Probably the best bike I've ever had infact. But log on to a public mx forum that not include all Yamaha consumers and the hate against the brand is apparent ...

Why ? I don't really know but my theory is that there is alot of different thing combined...

1. Yamaha and the new yz450f gets the blame from Stewart and some other pro's for not being ridable.

2. They have 250f that got no EFI

3. Yamaha dropped their factory team and looks to have no real development in US anymore. Not that the normal guy can observ atleast. ( Some say that the Star/Vali Yamaha team works as the new factory Yamaha team these days)

4. For those who follow Steve Matthes work on the pulpmxshow and his podcast's knows that Steve often talks about Yamaha's lack of interest in the sport these days, and constantly mention Yamaha's bad bad yz450f. And for those who listen to his shows (and his followers seem to gro week by week) can't ignore the bad image the brand gets.

5. The lack of top names riding the brand. This is a young mans sport, and kids want some pro to look up to. Yamaha invested ALOT of money on James Stewart but that can not have been a successful investment in the end of the day. They got Milsaps , but other than that it doesn't look to bright right now. But will be very interesting what's going to happen in 2013 with the effort after Bubbas departure ?

6. For those who have been in the sport for many years and look back at power house Yamaha factory team in the 80's, 90's and early 00's can't ignore how much have it has gone down towards nothing. It's really sad. Remember Ezra Lusk, Doug Henry, Kevin Windham, damon bradshaw all riding for the blue team in 1996, or what about 2002: Jeremy McGrath, David Vullimin, Tim Ferry, Chad Reed (250f YoT). It used to be a power house, what is it today ?

These are just some of the stuff that makes my theory why mx-people in general aren't that impressed by Yamaha anymore. A little more effort in it teams and riders, and maybe some changes to the bikes should maybe be a good fit right now. Not that I need it, but I think the new generation really wants it.

Edited by HRC
1 person likes this

^^ Good point, still i think gone are the factory team days these days the sponsors pay for the team. Why would a factory spend millions when a sponsor will pay for someone to ride their brand anyway?

I always wonder what sells on the showroom floor. I don't think it is so much the pro results what makes people buy or not. Honda tries hard to please the average Jo with their stock bike: light and effortless handling (especially at slower speeds), low, manageable. Honda loses all 450 shootouts and still it's the best selling bike - just because people like the bike.

IMO the '10+ 450 could be a better seller if it would be lower (lower seat & pegs & center of gravity) and have a mellower engine (with more flywheel weight?). That would make it it easier in handling and improve traction as well as manageable to anyone under 5'10" tall.

It's handling issues and wide shrouds are by far not as dramatic as the issues of some of the competitors. Many important things are par or better (suspension, brakes, clutch, gearbox, build quality etc.). Still it is a non-standard construction. Alone this will cost more sales than it will enhance them. Honda will feel this (not as strong though) with their dual muffler next year - just as Yamaha feels it with the carb on the 250f (which is non-standard in 2012).

HRC , I think you are spot-on with your post and I agree, the current bikes are still great options (the reliability alone means a lot to me). I also felt the need to throw out that a lot of this same attitude towards the brand is in the sportbike community. I also have an 06 R6 (1st year of the current generation) and while it is an amazing bike, people blast Yamaha for only making updates in 08 and otherwise being unchanged. I realize people want something to get excited about but at the same time, I sometimes think people get way caught up in magazine tests, forums, social media etc when it comes to these bikes. I've ridden a bunch of other models of mx bikes, sportbikes etc so it's not like I am blind to what else is out there (as have a lot of you guys on here). Times are tight and my carbed 250f is dialed in and I wouldn't be any faster on it if it were efi. When the time comes for a new bike, I always give Yamaha a look, since I know I can trust their bikes. That means more to me than any hyped 'gimmick'. And really just finding a bike/brand that fits you/your riding style is what seems to matter most. But as HRC said, the general community would need a change at this point, I would think (or at least soon).

looks like they all come with new graphics, and the Yz450f/250f come standard with black wheels! sweet

Just saw some results from Canadian Nationals. There are a lot more Yami's on the line.

I love my bike. I still have stock suspension. The power tuner with a MXA less hit map took away the twitchiness. The DRD engine relocation kit fixed my second biggest handling gripe.

Maybe a pipe is in my future to give me a tad more power?

I used to be a yamaha loyalist but the new bike is a huge turn off for me, I'm 6'4" and 220lbs and that bike is just too crunched up and weird handling for me. I ride B level and have switched to KTM and absolutely love it much more spred out and adjustable. I guess if your under 6' tall and are lighter than 190lbs or are a novice it seems to work for some guys I know but Its just too weird.

Edited by mx614

what the track next to a yama dealer? go look in the ama races hell even amateur and youll see far different... also air forks are the future as well as efi wake up smell the coffee and welcome to today yamaha needs to improve the terrible feel of the monster they created... Want o take about gimmicks? Look at the failed tech of the 2010 and uP yz450f thats gimmik town son better retake a look

Edited by Dasquriel

Dasquirel,

I take offense at your reference "to the monster they've created" while discussing the "new" 2010 and later 450...I have one, and with a revalve and longer rear link, find it the best handling motorcycle I have ever personally owned. Even stock, it handled very well, but was perhaps a bit stiff for off roading. Makes one wonder if you are just reading the chat lines and making comments. Have you ever riden one of these "monster" you are refering to..?

Dasquirel,

I take offense at your reference "to the monster they've created" while discussing the "new" 2010 and later 450...I have one, and with a revalve and longer rear link, find it the best handling motorcycle I have ever personally owned. Even stock, it handled very well, but was perhaps a bit stiff for off roading. Makes one wonder if you are just reading the chat lines and making comments. Have you ever riden one of these "monster" you are refering to..?

Well what you are saying is exactly the mentality that I was referring to. People go on forums and read some of these shootouts and think that these bikes aren't good. You ask the people that own them (and I'm talking about guys that have ridden other brands and aren't just yamaha fan boys) and most will tell you that they love the bikes. Me for example am loving my 'slow', 'outdated' 250f. But since there is no efi people just pass it off as a bad bike. Same thing with the 450. But no matter what, unless Yamaha makes changes, the people on the outside looking in are gonna think that way. i mean, Suzuki hasn't made changes since '10 either but you don't hear anyone sayin anything about their bikes. I guess that is just how it is, unfortunately. Glad you like your 450 tho, just as I like my 250. both great bikes.

Ive ridden a stock and one with relocation and link aswell as a supercross practice 2010 yz450f aswell as ktm 450,honda 450, kawi 450, suzuki 450.... The yamaha is severly lacking in handling... So dont automatically assume im making unfounded statments... Ive ridden them all stock and setup....

Well it just might not be the bike for you then. I agree with a lot of what you are sayin, they do need to update, as I said earlier. Also, the poster that said it's all blue at the track, has a bit of a different scene than i do. Not sayin there aren't any YZs, cause there certainly are, but not an overwhelming amount. As far as the current 450, it has efi and while it doesn't have air-forks, that really doesnt matter, unless you've also been logging some time on the 13 KX or CRF and know for a fact that it is awesome? As far as the 2012s, the Yam's suspension is still top-notch.