Radiator fan?

I'm planning to install a fan and am looking on ebay. I wonder if a YZF450 fan will fit? Anybody know of others that will fit on my 08' 450?

I'm hoping to get a used one for $20 or less. I figure that I'll only need it in heavy traffic and only slow steep long hillclimbs, so used will be fine.

Edited by GlennR

I'm planning to install a fan and am looking on ebay. I wonder if a YZF450 fan will fit? Anybody know of others that will fit on my 08' 450?

I'm hoping to get a used one for $20 or less. I figure that I'll only need it in heavy traffic and only slow steep long hillclimbs, so used will be fine.

Are you commuting on your wr?

as far as the hill climbs, if you are moving 5-10mph, that is plenty to cool the engine some.

Why not just get bigger radiators. I just put some of those chinese radiators on my bike. They hold a lot more coolant and I have noticed how cool my bike runs now.

$100 shipped for the larger radiators. Quality is very good.

No commuting, but I can see her running hot from sitting at a traffic light or 3 on a busy day. I'm working on a set of street wheels and figure I'll want to go into cities sometimes.

I ordered a pair of Mishimoto radiators for the DRZ I had last and was impressed with the quality, but I'm not sure larger radiators would really increase the cooling capacity when there's no air flow.

I have only overheated once riding trails. It was a grueling steep rocky trail in the woods. The engine got hot enough that it didn't want to run and got difficult to restart until it had a bit of time to cool down. I could hear the coolant moving into the resevoir. My buddy had a brand new Husaberg 570 which also over heated and lost collant, since it doesn't have a resevoir. We both felt that we'd be adding cooling fans to each bike, but neither have been in that type of riding situation since that day. That was one of my first "real rides" on the WR450 and it left a strong impression about the bike needing a fan. I was concerned that the high temps could have caused engine damage, and that would have really been a bummer on my "new Blue toy". ?

Are you commuting on your wr?

as far as the hill climbs, if you are moving 5-10mph, that is plenty to cool the engine some.

Why not just get bigger radiators. I just put some of those chinese radiators on my bike. They hold a lot more coolant and I have noticed how cool my bike runs now.

$100 shipped for the larger radiators. Quality is very good.

Can you post a link to this radiator? Thanks

Does anyone know if these fit the 426? The part #s are slightly different between the 450 and 426.

If you get steel framed 450 rads then yes they should work. I'm running 426 Fluidine radiators on my 04 450.

Does anyone know if these fit the 426? The part #s are slightly different between the 450 and 426.

Keep in mind that these radiators are bigger, wider and taller that the stock ones. I had some flatland radiator guards, but they wouldn't fit the larger radiators. The only guards that would fit are the moose racing ones. http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1795&product_group_id=7369

I think enduro engineering has the same ones.

However, those chinese radiators are so thick and beefy that you may not want radiator guards.

can you still run the stock plastic radiator shrouds/scoops with the larger import radiators w/o modifying them?

Yes, you can. No problem.

the scoops in front of the radiator fit as well. Fwiw, I have a set of scoops from a KTM zip tied to the front. I liked the black ones instead of the white ones. Been there for several rides. No problem.

I looked at the SPAL fans, but they aren't cheap on ebay anymore. They were about $30, but now they arre $50.

I want a $20 fan. Maybe a EX250 Ninja will fit? I'll let you guys know want I end up with.

If you get steel framed 450 rads then yes they should work. I'm running 426 Fluidine radiators on my 04 450.

Did you install a temp gauge on your bike?

When I first had my Acewell Speedo tied into my junk Electrosport harness I was shocked how cool the motor ran when at speed on the road. When the weather got cooler I had even restricted air flow over one radiator and the bike still had no issue getting rid of heat.

im bringing this up because I know you ride your bike on the road a lot and a good part of the year there in the North Pole the weather is cool

Did you install a temp gauge on your bike? When I first had my Acewell Speedo tied into my junk Electrosport harness I was shocked how cool the motor ran when at speed on the road. When the weather got cooler I had even restricted air flow over one radiator and the bike still had no issue getting rid of heat. im bringing this up because I know you ride your bike on the road a lot and a good part of the year there in the North Pole the weather is cool

If it's cold outside.. I don't ride :devil:

But, so far on a day which was almost (33 C) 90 degree's F, sitting at a light idling I've never seen the temp of the bike rise above (68 C) 154 degree's F. Typically the bike would run at about (48 C) 118 F..... So I guess it's running pretty cool... lol

I ended up ordering a 120x120mm 12V brushless computer fan for $8 off ebay. The only SPAL I saw was $50 + shipping. The used M/C fans all looked too wide or thick to fit. I had a couple of guys on ADVrider say that they've used the brushless computer fans offroad for years with no problems, so I figured I give it a try since they're so cheap.

As noted in posts above the WR450 runs cool while it's moving. I've only overheated mine once while in very steep, rocky, slow riding. I doubt I'll need it often.

After it arrives from China I'll post a photo & let you know how it looks & works.