Going back to thumper (will I miss my smoker?) '05 or '07 WR450?

After years of riding 2-strokes, I am ready to go back to a thumper. Love the 2-strokes, but I am riding more open terrain these days, want e-start and want the smoother roll-on power of the thumper. I also ride a lot with my family and just want a more relaxing ride.

I owned an '06 WR450f and really liked the bike, but got a great deal on a Gasgas EC250 and sold the WR.

I know many say that the newer aluminum frames make a huge difference. I am looking at a really low mile '05 that has about 10 total rides on it and it is $1000 less than the '07 with similar low miles. Is the newer frame worth $1000?

I am a B rider, do just 2 races a year, but just for fun. Most of my riding is fast paced trail riding in 2nd-3rd gear terrain with only 1 or 2 true singletrac days a year.

Edited by firffighter

I kinda figured it wasn't worth an extra $1000, but I did briefly ride an '07 WR250f that was going to be my sons bike and it would slice and dice through the trees nicely.

I am a bit nervous as I will be giving up a lot of handling going from a 2-stroke woods bike to a WR450. Is the difference significant?

If I remember right, weren't there some differences even between the '05 and '06 in handling/

I have a WR and a YZ 250 2-stroke set up for offroad. The the 2-stroke is alot better for technical single track. If it is more open two track the WR does pretty good. Most of the difference is in the weight feel of the two bikes.Once you adapt you should be fine.I go back and forth and it just takes a few minutes to remind my brain witch bike I am on. Also I can do the single track on the WR ,but if I have the choice I take the 2-stroke.

Edited by VinceDC

The Aluminum framed WR might be worth the $1000.00 additional, depending on a few things. The aluminum WR will feel a fair amount more flickable than the old steel framed one. So this might be enough of a reason for you to get that one instead of the '05. And then the other reason to get the '07 might be for re-sale value alone. It'll be easier to re-coup some of that money when it comes time to sell it. There will be more interest in the newer aluminum WR.

Maniac

• Like 1

Been reading every old thread on the subject and I don't think it is worth the extra $1000 for as much riding as I do. I really only do 1-2 tight single track rides a year and most of the terrain I ride is tight woods, but more flowing stuff that is quad width.

I think low hours is the most important thing.

I think I will adapt easy and look forward to a change.

Been reading every old thread on the subject and I don't think it is worth the extra $1000 for as much riding as I do. I really only do 1-2 tight single track rides a year and most of the terrain I ride is tight woods, but more flowing stuff that is quad width.

I think low hours is the most important thing.

I think I will adapt easy and look forward to a change.

YES! Low hours is more important than whiz bangs! I dislike fixing clapped out bike or having to rebuild stuff after only owning it for three months. ?

• Like 1

I'm with Max and Maniac. I just got an 09, still have my 06. It is a noticeable difference in the way they feel. 07+ WR turns better, side to side movement is easier, motor feels much more free, it feels more like an athlete.

I was faced with same situation as you when I bought my 06. I could have had an 07 for a little more. I made a mistake. Still had a lot of fun on the 06, but the 07+ I feel is a better bike. Throw the SSS fork on it and it would be superbadazz.

• 2 weeks later...

Bandit9 and I ride together and both have '06 and '09 Wr's. It really comes down to your riding style and personal preferences as to which WR is better. For me, the '06 is definitely more surefooted than the '09 in the corners and the '09 requires quite a bit more focus and aggression in the corners as it tends to ovesteer more than the '06.

The answer to the OP's question is yes, there will be situations where you will wish you had a 2 stroke, Like tight woods racing.There will also be roughly the same number of situations where you will be glad you have a 4 stroke. Any type of singletrack racing, I advise a 250/300 2 stroke. Desert ride or quad trail stuff, the 450f is tough to beat.

Don't look at this purchase as the last bike you will ever own. It is just the next chapter. Buy it, ride it, tweek it, enjoy it. When you get tired of it or your riding changes, then you get the complete opposite of what you used to have and start all over. Or do what a lot of guys do, and keep the 4 stroke, and buy a cheap 2 stroke for those "2 stroke type" rides. You know the type where you ride 6 hours and only go 40 miles....

Whatever you do, I can pretty much say that you will probably get another bike in 3 years or less. That seems to be the avg for most of us addicted dirt bike types. Enjoy the ride.

I used to be anti 4 stroke for any type of riding where ego was involved. However, after the past 3 years with the WR450 and a YZ250 mixed in, I've come to like the 450. Once you stop fighting it, and use the advantages it does present, it is a very capable and versitile bike. After I get done with some Dual Sport trips this summer, I'm stripping the 09 down and going to race Enduros next year on it. I want to see how it will do over 10-12 Enduros. However, the year after that, I will probably be back on a 2 stroke ready to race for blood in the 40+ classes. LOL!

The Aluminum framed WR might be worth the $1000.00 additional, depending on a few things. The aluminum WR will feel a fair amount more flickable than the old steel framed one. So this might be enough of a reason for you to get that one instead of the '05. And then the other reason to get the '07 might be for re-sale value alone. It'll be easier to re-coup some of that money when it comes time to sell it. There will be more interest in the newer aluminum WR.

Maniac

Do you ride a Polaris?

I swear its their favorite word!

Nope, no Polaris. Just my Yamaha. And to tell you the truth, I always thought it was hogwash what the magazines were trying to tell me about a bike "feeling" lighter. I didn't want something to "feel" lighter, I wanted it to "be" lighter! But then I got a ride on a bike that weighed exactly the same as mine, and that thing was waaaaaayyyyyy more flickable than mine, that it was eye opening! So like always, I'm still learning!!!

Maniac

Nope, no Polaris. Just my Yamaha. And to tell you the truth, I always thought it was hogwash what the magazines were trying to tell me about a bike "feeling" lighter. I didn't want something to "feel" lighter, I wanted it to "be" lighter! But then I got a ride on a bike that weighed exactly the same as mine, and that thing was waaaaaayyyyyy more flickable than mine, that it was eye opening! So like always, I'm still learning!!!

Maniac

What you really learned was to stay off other bikes. It is not healthy mentally or financially to ever ride another bike, unless you are in the market to buy. Ask me how I know this.....I try to stay off other bikes and love the one your with. Dial it in and ride it till it gets stale, then get another one. Just like some of my friends do with wives....

Edited by Bandit9
  • Like 1

EXACTLY!!! I do my best to follow this motto to the "T". But the other day, I couldn't make it in time to race the Crazy Ben round of our Harescrambles series, so I swung up to work the event and get some worker points so as to stay in 3rd place in points. After I got there, the promoter said, "Why don't you run sweep for me, use my bike." I immediately knew it was going to end up costing me some money, as he had those Flexx handlebars on the bike, and I've been looking at them for some time now. Yup, I now own some Flexx for myself, and am now looking for a different bike for the racing season! I absolutely love my WR, but now realize, that to be competitive in the 40A, I've got to get a more focused racing machine. And use the WR for everything except the racing series.

Maniac

Well,

I've been looking, but the WR's retain their value very well here in the NW and guys are asking too much for used bikes IMO.

I am going to wait until winter when prices come down a bit.

So, for now, it I'm still on the 2-stroke train unless I get someone who want to trade.

After lots of reading, I do think I want to hold out for an aluminum frame WR. With the '12 out now and rave reviews, I figure the used market should improve.

Well,

I've been looking, but the WR's retain their value very well here in the NW and guys are asking too much for used bikes IMO.

I am going to wait until winter when prices come down a bit.

So, for now, it I'm still on the 2-stroke train unless I get someone who want to trade.

After lots of reading, I do think I want to hold out for an aluminum frame WR. With the '12 out now and rave reviews, I figure the used market should improve.

Wait 2 or 3 more years and then pickup a old-hat 2012 WR450 then. Definitely buy in January vice now.

• 2 weeks later...