06 YZ450 SSS fork swap to 09WR450

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/686509-installing-06-09-yzf-forks-on-a-07-09-wrf/

according to this, you can either drill and tap for the stock WR caliper, or just use the YZ one.

personally, id go with the YZ one since its direct bolt on, lighter, and can be found for pretty cheap

Thanks for the link. I wonder why that didn't show up in the search???

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, been doing some research. I was looking "back" at the 06 YZ450 front ends parts and came to the conclusion that the 06-09 YZF lower triple clamp doesn't have the Wr headlight posts. So then I looked "forward" at a 2012 WR450 front end since it has the SSS forks now and compared it to my 09. The axle, collar, nut, hub, and caliper are all the same part numbers. The 12 WR450 has the same caliper as 06-07 YZ/WR's. So all one would need is the upper and lower triple clamps from an 12 WR450 to make it work. Right??

This is the bottom clamp and stem. Found under "front fork"

49 1DX-23340-00-00 UNDER BRACKET COMP. $416.80 $366.78 Usually ships in 5-7 business days

This is the upper clamp, found under "steering"

10 1DX-23435-00-00 CROWN, HANDLE $170.98 $150.46 Usually ships in 5-7 business days

Think it will work? Am I missing anything?

Edited by Bandit9

i have a 2007 wr450 with 06 yz450f forks on it they bolted straight on orignal triple clamps the only thing that is diffrent is the forks do not have a peice of metal that stops speedo pickup from rotating i have found this not to be a problem just have to tighten up a diffrent way

the yz forks are the best mod ever the standard forks are crap i ride a bit of mx and the yz forks are good

Edited by freerider_australia

• 2 months later...

all the wr spacers and axle i used on the yzforks with no problems

Just so I understand this correctly, you have installed the SSS fork onto the stock 07 WR clamp, hub, axle, bearing spacer, odo pickup right spacer, and spacer for the right, and axle nut?

You seem to be the only one to make this work as a straight bolt on???? How did you deal with the offset lugs? The 06-09 YZ triple clamps and axle are a few mm wider than WR stock clamps and axle.

• 4 months later...

Just so I understand this correctly, you have installed the SSS fork onto the stock 07 WR clamp, hub, axle, bearing spacer, odo pickup right spacer, and spacer for the right, and axle nut?

You seem to be the only one to make this work as a straight bolt on???? How did you deal with the offset lugs? The 06-09 YZ triple clamps and axle are a few mm wider than WR stock clamps and axle.

Only the 2006 YZ 250/450 forks are a straight swap. 2007 and later have the upgraded (lighter) caliper/axle/clamp system.