Newbie has some XR600 questions.

Hi Everyone.

Got off to a bad start, maybe that should be a non start with my new (to me) '92 XR600. I could not start the damn thing this morning. I've been scanning the archives and found a great post about this, so I'll try moredesert's method tomorrow.

My bike is what I gather is called uncorked? It has no airbox cover at all. It also has an Arrow slip on. Apparently the header welds are ground out (popular mod?). The previous owner said he had the knack for starting it and the bike didn't respond to the settings "everyone recommends" for an uncorked bike? I asked him about this and he said everyone recommends an X (I forget which size he said!)size pilot when you've uncorked it. Is there a recommended set up for an uncorked XR600?

Many thanks.

Dave

Thanks Moredesert! Virtualk drinks all round ?

Before I end up in the Cardio ward, how can I start this bike? I've followed about 5 different procedures now, still it wont start. Its trying, but just not catching. Can I assume the jetting is way off on this bike? Surely it shouldn't be this much of a problem? I'll have to pull teh carbn and see what in there.

God I miss my R30 and its leccy boot :D

My 600 is bored to an 642cc. My dad has a stock one, and we both start them the same: full choke, hold the compression release in and kick it 10 times, then let the c.r. off and kick it slowly till it hits a hard spot (compression stroke), then give it a hard kick. As for jetting, pull the bottom plug out of the carburetor bowl and then put an 8mm socket in the hole and pull out the main jet. Mine is a 175, and my dad's is a 160. I figure you'd be about a 160-165. Baja Designs carries lots of jets for $5 a piece. Hope this helps. ?

My 600 is bored to an 642cc. My dad has a stock one, and we both start them the same: full choke, hold the compression release in and kick it 10 times, then let the c.r. off and kick it slowly till it hits a hard spot (compression stroke), then give it a hard kick. As for jetting, pull the bottom plug out of the carburetor bowl and then put an 8mm socket in the hole and pull out the main jet. Mine is a 175, and my dad's is a 160. I figure you'd be about a 160-165. Baja Designs carries lots of jets for $5 a piece. Hope this helps. :D

Top man.? Thanks for the tips. I actually managed to start it today. I think i have the knack now!

I'll try and get into the carb later on. I want to find out if the needle is adjustable?

cheers

Dave

THnaks again for the advice. I was going to ride to work on it today, but after an hour of trying to start it, I quit. I could not start the damn thing ? I dont know weather to try and improve the carb set up, but from what I can gather its pretty much agreed this is a less then perfect carb anyway.

I cant fit an eldebrock (sp?), as they are not really imported here and parts would be a problem. Mikuni must be the way to go. I've been looking into this a bit. I'm not too sure about cables though. I dont think the standard cable works on the mikuni right? Plus I think you need an adapter or something for the airbox to fit? Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to get one a TM40 to fit my '92 XR600? I believe XRsonly.com sells them as ready to fit kit? But, I have read on here that XRsonly, well have a bit of a bad name?? Kinda worrying if you're planning an international transaction with them? Anywhere else that sells a mikuni TM40 as a ready to bolt on kit? I love this bike, but the eye candy value is wearing off, I want to ride it now!! :D

Many thanks

Dave

taipan -

i've had starting issues with my XR600 since i bought it. here are some of the things i had to do.

1) the gasket between the carbs and the head was cracked. this made for a lean condition. the crack was small and out of sight. i had to actually remove the gasket and look at it from all angles.

2) once that air leak was fixed i had to completely re-jet. the previous owner had richened the jetting a great deal to compensate for the air leak. this was (for me) a chore on a dual carb model.

3) after that was all squared away she quit starting altogether. she was getting no spark. one new ignition coil later and she would start fairly easily again (up and running within 10 good kicks from cold)

4) but now i think i have another jeting problem. she starts OK from cold only with the choke off. after she has warmed up she runs great, but often won't re-start while hot. i think the no hot start and no choke cold start are two heads of the same monster. i was about to post the question when i read this thread.

anywho: make sure your air filter is clean, make sure your gas is good. try some race gas [or avgas] my bikes likes both very well. check for a spark. if you've got no good spark youre plug is bad or your coil is bad or your stator is bad or maybe your plug cap it bad.

good luck.

jeremiah

Nice info Beer-studd, thanks. I spoke with teh prvious owner tonight. He said when he took mine to a dyno they had trouble seting it up. He said changing the MJ didnt make a lot of difference?? I'm thinking that with this bike being well known for sucking the throttle slide in and nmaking it hard to move initialy, this will have accelerated wear on the emulsion tube/atomiser. By this I mean the steel needle will have worn the brass emulsion tube/atomiser into an oval shape. I've seen this before with dellortos. If the needle never fits the emulsion tube/atomiser, its leaking by with fuel.

This is only guesswork, and I've not even been into my carb to have look at how it strips down? Or what components make up the needle/main jet assembly? I could use looking at a diagram for one of these carbs, or better yet getting off my arse and opening mine up! ?

Cheers

Dave