Just bought a new 2012 WR450, now what do I do?

I am going to sell my beloved 06 model as soon as I can get this one up to par, uncorked and plated. Can anyone tell me what I should be ordering up for her to uncork her? I already ordered a programable ecu and programmer, and the larger muffler outlet tip, what about the throttle? it feels like it's restricted like the 06 was, is this true? if so what can I do? I also want to get some taller gearing for highway use, one tooth larger on the front sprocket and 2 teeth smaller on the back. how can I get the part numbers for these? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SSPX0026.jpg

well there is this nut that you've got to put on that connects the handle bars to the seat and from what i've heard that typically does the trick in terms of uncorking it ? haha

But sorry, i've never ridden a wr450 (although i've always wanted one) so can't help you on the tech questions.

But congrats on the new buy! Looks like a one lean, mean, machine!

• Like 1

For the EFI uncorking, I'm not really up on that stuff yet- but you should definetly tear the bike apart and grease the linkage, front and rear wheels, steering stem and swingarm bearings. It will make you really mad to see how little grease they put in at the factory.

Also check your oil level before breaking it in. After breakin, drain the coolant and put your preffered coolant in. Sometimes dealers will put just straight water in there. Its better to check and know for sure what you've got.

• Like 1

I checked the oil level, and found that she was greased quite well. I removed the exhaust restrictor in the tailpipe and found a throttle restrictor screw limiting my throttle but I need to know what to do next, I'm sure others have bought 012's and done some mods already like removing some of the smog stuff and bump up the power.

Hey there Mountainmax i've just bought a new 2012 WR450F as well. Where did you find that throttle stop screw? i can seem to find anything on where it's located. Thanks

Its a tamper proof Torx head screw on underside of throttle body. Found it easy to remove once head pipe was taken off

here is what i'm planning on doing, which looking at the review in DR (more details in the print version than link below) it pretty much matches up what i did on my 2009 in the beginning.

disassemble whole bike and replace fluids / grease

remove throttle screw

add GYTR/FMF PowerBomb header (unless there is a MegaBomb available when mine arrives)

add GYTR/FMF PowerCore exhaust (unless there is a Factory 4.1 SL available when mine arrives)

add GYTR competition kit/ECU

buy GYTR power tuner (just in case)

add Acerbis handguards

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-road-bikes/141_1203_2012_yamaha_wr450f/

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelsubcontaineritems/5/210/1222/5389/2012/0/all.aspx

Just remove the throttle screw, it's under the rh side of the throttle body but you can access it from the left hand side, put a torx security bit on a 1/4 drive ratchet and put it in, break it loose, it's a bit hard to get at, then remove it with your fingers. leave it out for now and when/if you get the new programmable ecu, a shorter screw (just to fill the hole) will come with it.

Edited by MountainMax

One thing I would not buy is the gytr enduro skid plate, it's the exact same design as the plastic one that comes stock. It is very thin and does not provide good coverage, also makes a bad resonating sound from the motor.

here is what i'm planning on doing, which looking at the review in DR (more details in the print version than link below) it pretty much matches up what i did on my 2009 in the beginning.

disassemble whole bike and replace fluids / grease

remove throttle screw

add GYTR/FMF PowerBomb header (unless there is a MegaBomb available when mine arrives)

add GYTR/FMF PowerCore exhaust (unless there is a Factory 4.1 SL available when mine arrives)

add GYTR competition kit/ECU

buy GYTR power tuner (just in case)

add Acerbis handguards

http://www.dirtrider..._yamaha_wr450f/

http://www.yamaha-mo...2012/0/all.aspx

edit, titanium megabomb now available at RM, now i just need the 4.1 SL (which should just slip on & work i assume???)!

http://www.rockymoun...omb-Header-Pipe

Edited by drick

Anyone thought that the 12 needs a steering stabilizer? I belive that will be next on the 2do list. Props to Scotts, they have everything already on there website for the 12 including intall pics. Could not find anything at gpr or fastway. I really like the fastway on my ktm. Lets here some feedback. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just remove the throttle screw, it's under the rh side of the throttle body but you can access it from the left hand side, put a torx security bit on a 1/4 drive ratchet and put it in, break it loose, it's a bit hard to get at, then remove it with your fingers. leave it out for now and when/if you get the new programmable ecu, a shorter screw (just to fill the hole) will come with it.

I see there is a stop built into the throttle body (part of the casting), so it appears there is no reason to cut the stock throttle stop screw at all. All I'd need to do is put a short screw in to keep dirt, mud, water, etc from entering the throttle body.

It seems to be easy to just get the GYTR pipe, comp ecu, pull the air box plugs then your done. I haven't took my swing arm apart or linkage, but the wheel axles had plenty of grease, so I not sure if pulling your brand new bike apart is needed. Maybe this winter I will, to see for myself. My radiator has Anti freeze in it (actually Blue Ice in this one), and I have never bought a new Yamaha that didn't. I have a GPR off my 08 YZ 450 and all I need to order is the frame clamp / post for a 2010 YZ 250 and it will bolt right up (already research it and I'm putting it on soon). If you go with Cycra Pro bends, they need spacers to the inside of the bars to fit properly. On thing I did and it may not mean much, but I took those black plastic push plugs you find in a RMATV bolt kit and stuck them in the empty 250 bolt holes, it just looks better is all. And a trials tire on this bike for the single track performs really well.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...