Project TTR: "Buck Twenty Five"

Picked up a used, abused, 2004 TTR125E for the girlfriend. Bought it for $800. (Up here in Canada, that's a steal! These bikes in average shape are fetching over $1400, while good condition ones go for $2000!) Got it from a "friend of a friend" who just wants it gone. For that price, even with a buggered engine, I couldn't pass it up.

The good: Frame is straight, suspension is solid, everything works, battery is strong, seat is comfy, and most importantly everything is there! The (soon to be) wifey LOVES this bike. Its her first year riding, she fits it well (5'5") and she loves the electric start.

The bad: The Engine is facked. It goes through a quart of oil every 2 hours or so. Smokes like a sunofabitch, and it has been poorly maintained. The chain guide is busted, the chain is toast, the rear fender is hanging on by a thread, and it was never washed by the looks of it.

So, the teardown began today. The plan is to fix it up, and either keep it for her if she decides she likes riding enough, or sell it for more than what I'll have into it. I know it will need a top end (the oil burning) but depending on what's wrong, I'll tear into the bottom end as well.

Brought it home, here's are the "before" pictures. Notice all the oil residue on the back end:

dsc06457zx.jpg

dsc06458e.jpg

dsc06459m.jpg

After an extremely thurough pressure wash, parts started coming off so I could thuroughly wash under them:

dsc06461ti.jpg

dsc06462pn.jpg

After about 45 minutes, the engine was out!

dsc06463p.jpg

Frame back outside so I can wash it again, then strip it down and grease every bearing!

dsc06464q.jpg

I drained the oil. This is ALL that came out!

dsc06466z.jpg

I wasn't happy with how much was left on the engine after 2 pressure washes, so I taped it up, and back outside it went for a sand blasting. I used crished walnut. It strips the dirt easily, but won't harm painted surfaces or bare aluminum. Washed it again after, and squeaky clean!

dsc06467j.jpg

Edited by Slick_Nick
  • Like 1

Side covers come off, flywheel and clutch:

dsc06468h.jpg

dsc06469w.jpg

dsc06470q.jpg

Now to get to the source of the burning oil! Cam chain comes off, all the misc. parts in the way, and off goes the head:

dsc06471u.jpg

dsc06472s.jpg

Pulling off the cylinder, and cause is found. "Well, there's your problem!" Stock Yamaha Piston.

dsc06473a.jpg

Great, now I know I need to do a bottom end too. Don't know where all those chunks ended up!

dsc06474kr.jpg

Thankfully, the oil pump was undamaged inside, but there were lots of chunks of metal in the pickup screen. This is where I'm at for now, will split the cases tonight. The crank has no play in it out of spec, so hopefully I can just clean everything up and start the reassembly with new bearings, etc.

dsc06479y.jpg

• Like 1

Split the cases:

dsc06480f.jpg

dsc06481st.jpg

I'm glad I did! Look at all the crud inside from that piston!

dsc06482d.jpg

Organized Chaos:

dsc06484x.jpg

Removed and cleaned every nook and cranny of EVERY part! The crank checked out OK, it will be reused.

dsc06489n.jpg

dsc06490b.jpg

Next to my KDX

dsc06491r.jpg

Every part, bolt, washer, etc was cleaned, labled, and put away into baggies that will aid in re-assembly.

dsc06492uo.jpg

• Like 2

Had very little time to work on it tonight. Long day at work!

Pulled the rear wheel and set to work on the spokes, (one was missing a nipple!) and getting rid of the bearings.

dsc06493i.jpg

Yuck! Look at those bearings! In the garbage they go!

dsc06494o.jpg

Spokes fixed, bearings out, wheel is all good again.

dsc06495kz.jpg

Took the float bowl off, jets inside were a 15 Pilot and 105 main (stock.) With the airbox mod and "butt plug" removal, I'll be going with a 20 pilot and 110 main.

dsc06497k.jpg

Removed the shock. I will clean it up, but it is not serviceable otherwise:

dsc06499e.jpg

That's it for tonight!

dsc06500gb.jpg

• Like 1

Got my package from RMATV today. Lots of goodies for the TTR. (And some for the KDX too!)

dsc06501b.jpg

Wiseco forged high compression piston:

dsc06503o.jpg

dsc06504h.jpg

You can see the larger dome is quite noticeable

dsc06505b.jpg

The TTR swingarm doesn't ride on bearings. More like a bushing. Took the entire rear linkage apart and cleaned and greased everything. Here was the swingarm pivot after I removed it:

dsc06506gl.jpg

After a thurough cleaning, it got lots of grease and went back into the swingarm (which was also cleaned well.)

dsc06508v.jpg

All points cleaned and greased, everything was torqued to factory spec, and the shock reinstalled.

dsc06509c.jpg

dsc06510r.jpg

The TTR "airbox mod" involves enlarging the tiny hole left by the snorkel. I might have gone a little extreme, but oh well.

dsc06511ey.jpg

dsc06512h.jpg

• Like 1

Only had a little time tonight. Cleaned up some parts. Stator and flywheel:

dsc06520l.jpg

On the clutch cover, there is a relief on both sides for a "sight glass" for the oil level. Wonder why Yamaha didn't put one in?

dsc06522s.jpg

Cleaned the jug, and honed the cylinder. Cleaned it up, and coated it with WD-40 and sealed it in a bag.

dsc06524sj.jpg

dsc06525i.jpg

dsc06526mp.jpg

That's all for tonight!

• Like 1

Made some good progress today. Cleaned up the head which took a LONG ass time! All the burnt on oil residue was a bitch to get off. Combination of a wire brush and the walnut hull blaster made things look like new!

Before:

dsc06472s.jpg

After:

dsc06532v.jpg

dsc06534g.jpg

Once cleaned, the head was placed into a bag and sealed like all the other parts to ensure cleanliness upon reassembly.

dsc06535t.jpg

The clutch basket was a bit notched:

dsc06536.jpg

Filed it down:

dsc06538bg.jpg

I drill oil return holes in the baskets of all my bikes. (All aftermarket baskets come with these as well.) Here is the TTR basket filed, drilled, and cleaned:

dsc06539x.jpg

Onto cleaning the case halves. Lots of piston chunks in there, we need to make sure all the bearings are clean. Before:

dsc06540i.jpg

After:

dsc06541m.jpg

dsc06542m.jpg

Edited by Slick_Nick
  • Like 1

Took the carb completely apart, cleaned everything. Here are all the parts laid out ready for reassembly:

dsc06544n.jpg

Upped the pilot to a 20, and the main to a 107.5:

dsc06545b.jpg

Carb reassembled:

dsc06546t.jpg

Had some leftover yellow vent hose from my KDX. Replaced the gross old Yamaha junk:

dsc06547k.jpg

Like everything else, the completed carb was sealed up:

dsc06549a.jpg

Case halves cleaned, and laid out. Tomorrow I will begin reassembly for the engine:

dsc06550y.jpg

• Like 1

im thinking of doing something close to as extensive as this to my little playbike, maybe with a bbr cam and some different forks and shock among other little things, i like your build though! i bet that poor ttr still ran with half a piston too!

EDIT: if you don't mind explaining, do the holes in the clutch basket just flow oil better and whatnot?

Edited by yammablue22

im thinking of doing something close to as extensive as this to my little playbike, maybe with a bbr cam and some different forks and shock among other little things, i like your build though! i bet that poor ttr still ran with half a piston too!

EDIT: if you don't mind explaining, do the holes in the clutch basket just flow oil better and whatnot?

Yes the allow for better oil transfer into and out of the plates. I've done it on all my bikes.