Brand new 2012 wr450 WATCH OUT

To start off my buddy calls me the maintance nazi and isnt to keen on doing maintnance but he just got rid of a pile of junk and got a brand new wr450 anyway i told him what he should check before getting it to the dirt.... Grease linkage, axles, pivots, oil airfilter, adjust sag and grease headbearings...... So he was reluctant but i came over and helped him. There was a sufficent amount of grease on head bearings but the axels and linkage where absolutely bone dry!!!! Also after we were all done i figured since hes had it running for about 20 minutes lets change the oil.... So i check dipstick and there is no level... Uh oh.... So we dump allllll the oil and let it sit and fully evacuate and theres dirty 350cc of oil..... The dealer signed a paper saying they checked oil level so were going to take the bike back and demand a new one at a reduced price and have them grease everything and set the sag this time... If this was you would you be doing the same?

fear? no im just kidding uh by them not being dipshits...... If they call my crediability into question there will be far more problems than the new bike they will be handing my buddy... I dont loose when i walk into a service place dissatisfied.... Theres nothing like a smile and blunt words

Edited by Dasquriel

I bought my 08 new this year. Same thing. No grease anywhere. I was smart enough to read these forums and grease everything up before running it.

It was a great experience doing it all on a brand new bike. All the bolts, hoses and wiring were all sparkling clean and I got to know my bike inside out and upside down.

No offense, but you didn't get too many replies because you come off as a know-it-all, so what else is there to add that you don't already know.

I'd tell your buddy to rip it appart, grease it up and enjoy the new toy. Unless he's one of those guys that lets the stealership do all of his maintenance. Then, sick'em. They'll look forward to working with you. (Note: sarcasm)

• Like 1

Wow thanks for all the replys...

What do you want us to say? Sucks to be your buddy, I'd be pissed and I personally don't trust anybody working on my bike. Funny thing is the oil I believe is added by Yamaha, not the dealer and bikes are shipped full of oil with nothing needed to be added.

Just curious, is the oil check proceedure the same for a '12 as it is an '04? Cuz if you checked the dipstick without running the bike you didn't check anything and after reading your post waiting 20minutes may be a little too long to get an accurate measurement. Are there multiple drain screws still as well? Did you drain the crankcase or just the frame? No offense meant, there are just a lot of non-dry sump 4 stroke owners out there that don't know what they are doing until they have seen it done or read the manual. If you didn't do it exactly by the manual you really don't have a leg to stand on.

I'd bitch, try to get a new bike (though I don't see a discount in the future if they hand you a new bike) and check that before starting. Honestly I am nto sure an oil check is on the list for the dealer. This may be a Yamaha deal, not the dealer.

Mike

Greasing up the bike was a good move, some of us do that, I imagine alot of folks don't.

But, to be blunt, taking out a $9-10k OTD bike and riding it without checking the oil is not smart. They give you a manual with how to check it, and what to do when you are breaking it in. It takes just a few seconds to do.

Regardless of what they said they did at the shop, I'd be suprised if they do anything for your friend related to the amount of oil you pulled out of it.

fear? no im just kidding uh by them not being dipshits...... If they call my crediability into question there will be far more problems than the new bike they will be handing my buddy... I dont loose when i walk into a service place dissatisfied.... Theres nothing like a smile and blunt words

The above post is extremely arrogant.. If you came into my shop with that attitude after not checking the oil before using your machine i would smile and with blunt words tell you to leave and dont bother coming back.. Since you drained the oil out already you really dont have a leg to stand on, like the first reply said, how are you going to prove thats all you pulled out of the bike??

Well then you wouldnt be a shop owner for very long... Sometimes youll have an &%$#@! customer youll have to please to keep good business as &%$#@! usually hve big mouths and can spread a bad rep quick... Knowing this is key to customer satisfaction.... You please your customer no matter there tude unless there actually being loud and disruptive..... So hats off to you sir for i may be arrogant but your ignorant. And if your saying " if you came into my shop" beccause you own a shop. I havnt heard of it you know why? You dont get big by being anti customer service.... Ever heard of chapparal?? They also have the best god damn customer service around... Thirdly... They signed a paper indicating they checked the oil.... That puts them at fault... If i cant trust that i cant trust they didnt steal my fork internals and swap them with the rocks your heads are filled with.... Uhhhhhh son

Well then you wouldnt be a shop owner for very long... Sometimes youll have an &%$#@! customer youll have to please to keep good business as &%$#@! usually hve big mouths and can spread a bad rep quick... Knowing this is key to customer satisfaction.... You please your customer no matter there tude unless there actually being loud and disruptive..... So hats off to you sir for i may be arrogant but your ignorant. And if your saying " if you came into my shop" beccause you own a shop. I havnt heard of it you know why? You dont get big by being anti customer service.... Ever heard of chapparal?? They also have the best god damn customer service around... Thirdly... They signed a paper indicating they checked the oil.... That puts them at fault... If i cant trust that i cant trust they didnt steal my fork internals and swap them with the rocks your heads are filled with.... Uhhhhhh son

actually, the one time i bought something from chapparral i had the absolute shittiest experience, and id never buy a god damn thing from them again. Does my opinion matter? i guess not, because you just stated they have "the best customer service around"

But yeah, i guess if you came into my imaginary shop with your attitude, id politely fill your bike with a quart and a half, then tell you to leave. peace

everyone has a bad story about everywhere... But the majority of how a business treats its ppl is what matters!! And no if i had walked in ur shop and u had tried not giving me a new bike and handed me the same one back with a quart and a half youd be hanging a 4 sale sign on ur business after you lost all contracts with bike companies... Then your house... Then youd be under a bridge drinking a quart and a half of mickeys crying

Wow thanks for all the replys...

everyone has a bad story about everywhere... But the majority of how a business treats its ppl is what matters!! And no if i had walked in ur shop and u had tried not giving me a new bike and handed me the same one back with a quart and a half youd be hanging a 4 sale sign on ur business after you lost all contracts with bike companies... Then your house... Then youd be under a bridge drinking a quart and a half of mickeys crying

Just as we suspected, you think of yourself as a "know-it-all". Good luck in life, and on this forum.

Maniac

So you think that YOU having a bad experience and blathering on like the jackhole you are coming off as would be enough to ruin my life and business if I was a shop owner?

Dude, you either overestimate the power of the Internet or severely underestimate your arrogance.

At this point you are at the mercy of the dealer and Yamaha. Again, if they give your friend a different bike count yourself very lucky. You will not get something for nothing no matter how much of a ass you make of yourself at the dealership. Remember, one mans "frustration" is another mans "disturbing the peace" when the police get called on you.

Mike

So you think that YOU having a bad experience and blathering on like the jackhole you are coming off as would be enough to ruin my life and business if I was a shop owner?

Dude, you either overestimate the power of the Internet or severely underestimate your arrogance.

At this point you are at the mercy of the dealer and Yamaha. Again, if they give your friend a different bike count yourself very lucky. You will not get something for nothing no matter how much of a ass you make of yourself at the dealership. Remember, one mans "frustration" is another mans "disturbing the peace" when the police get called on you.

Mike

Not asking for something for free... He bought a new bike so that hed have a new undamaged motor they supplied him and set him up for a ruined motor... hence free.....