What to look for in an older YZ.

Here is my bike now. 01 250. I'm in love, but the relationship is getting tough. I have a 4 stroke itch. After riding my buddies rmz, I really liked the raw power down low especially with me being a little on the hefty side.

What am I to look for in an older 400 or 426? I'm aware of the seals, wheel bearings, things like that, but what about the motor? Are these older machines a ticking time bomb? Should I look for one with motor work(rebuilds) already done, or one that is stock? Also, what would you expect price wise for a 98-02 yz? Around the same as my 250? 12-1400?

Photo0876.jpg

Edited by ZGILBERT93

Anyone? What am I to expect from an older thumper?

1200 for that yz is pretty reasonable. depeding on what you have invested you might be better holding on to it. They are pretty sweet bikes..

the older thumpers are tanks. If you can find a runner you got a solid platform. I just picked up a 300$ project yz400 that im converting to 426..

1200 for that yz is pretty reasonable. depeding on what you have invested you might be better holding on to it. They are pretty sweet bikes..

the older thumpers are tanks. If you can find a runner you got a solid platform. I just picked up a 300$ project yz400 that im converting to 426..

That sounds like a reasonable price. I bought it for a grand and over the winter I had the cylinder replated and put in a new wiseco kit. I figure if the old thumpers are still running after this long, I can expect it to run for a while longer. A buddie of mine has an 01 250f and it seems to be running like a champ.

not sure what the trannys are like in those old bikes, but i have a 04 450 and i had to put a trans in it. 4th likes to go out in the 03 to 05 bikes.

The motors are bullet proof. Mine hasn't needed the valves adjusted since it left the factory. However, the trans is finally giving me its first issue after 14 years. It seems to be a relatively minor problem, however.

The motors are bullet proof. Mine hasn't needed the valves adjusted since it left the factory. However, the trans is finally giving me its first issue after 14 years. It seems to be a relatively minor problem, however.

It seems all of the older motors from the late 90's early '00's held up pretty well. My buddy has a 426 that hasn't given him any trouble and another buddy has an 01 250f that has been trouble free other than starting the thing. I'm pretty set on an older thumper. Now I just need to play the waiting game for one that comes my way. I tried out the 250f and I really enjoy it. It's not as radical as the 2 stroke which I like but yet don't like. It's easy to ride, but I like hillclimbing and I just don't think it can haul my 240lb ass up some of the hills. I rode a buddies 450 and it is quite nuts. But it can be ridden slowly when necessiary. Edited by ZGILBERT93

My 400 hates being ridden slowly. Singletrack and technical stuff is a chore. It prefers fire roads or wide open sand pits.

my 400 can lug, but its big power is up top. i love this bke, i taded my 2003 warrior for it and put some money in it to get it trail ready, now its goingto the mechaics to get a carb tune, i cant figure itout so i finaily threw in the towl. the carbs are my only complain. personaly i would never trade a 2 stroke for a 4. i would trade you my bike right now. i miss my old yz, cant imagne a newer one!

im also 240! nd my yz was stll scary, but the 400f has more powerall the time. so its still real nice to have it there. yz should pull you up any hill.