2008 WR450 Dual Sport Conversion Kit?

Hey all

I wanted to know what would be the best dual sport conversion kit to put on my 2008 WR450F. I know that california is hit and miss on being able to change my off-road motorcycle to on road but i feel its worth a try. I want to change it out to be a street legal supermoto.

Does anyone suggest a brand to go with for this conversion. I already know i will be spending money to do this but it will be worth it.

If anyone can give me some starting info into what accomindations I will have to buy to support the added lighting and a keyed ignition.

Please let me know

thanks

Baja Designs http://www.bajadesigns.com/ is a proven company with great support. You really can't go wrong with them. If you are trying to save a few bucks then you might look into the Tusk kit from Rocky Mtn. MC http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/227/1156/-/26724/Tusk-Motorcycle-Enduro-Lighting-Kit/TUSK+DUAL+SPORT+KIT A little more basic and uses the stock headlight but the cost is lower too.

Baja Designs http://www.bajadesigns.com/ is a proven company with great support. You really can't go wrong with them. If you are trying to save a few bucks then you might look into the Tusk kit from Rocky Mtn. MC http://www.rockymoun...+DUAL+SPORT+KIT A little more basic and uses the stock headlight but the cost is lower too.

+1 on this.

I have done 2 Tusk and one BajaDesigns kits so far. If you want the keyed ignition and aren't ready to do some of your own fabrication for the keyswitch, the BajaDesigns is the way to go. The BD Key switch turns the lights on/off and acts as your new kill button(turn key off, bike dies and won't start anymore).

If you want to save some $$ and are a little handy with wiring, the Tusk is a great value and works very well. I am in the process of adding a keyswitch to a tusk kit right now(as well as re-wiring the headlight to be DC only, which is something the BD kit does.)

Depending on how much $$ you want to throw at the DS thing, you already have the lights, w/o turn signals. Here in Michigan we can still get away with hand signals. So to get legal, you need some sort of horn, a dimmer or hi/lo switch, headlight and taillight both have a second element, (circuit), so all you need is a hydraulic brake light switch, available just about anywhere, and a fold away rear view mirror. So if you can forego the turn signals. You can dual sport it for less than $100. I added a key switch through the kill switch wiring, but could have just dropped the kill switch, but like it for accessability. Sickass Racing has most of this stuff. I ran the brake light direct from the battery, with a fuse on my 07 WR250, and just spliced into the taillight wire on an 08 TTR230 I just finished..

• TT Sponsor

Hey all

I wanted to know what would be the best dual sport conversion kit to put on my 2008 WR450F. I know that california is hit and miss on being able to change my off-road motorcycle to on road but i feel its worth a try. I want to change it out to be a street legal supermoto.

Does anyone suggest a brand to go with for this conversion. I already know i will be spending money to do this but it will be worth it.

If anyone can give me some starting info into what accomindations I will have to buy to support the added lighting and a keyed ignition.

Please let me know

thanks

Baja Designs now offers a kit for the 07-WR450F so that you can use your stock head light and keep the OEM look to the bike. Here is a link to and its cheaper than our regular dual sport kit that contains our head lights for $459.95.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/SearchByKeyword?word=121430

Baja Designs now offers a kit for the 07-WR450F so that you can use your stock head light and keep the OEM look to the bike. Here is a link to and its cheaper than our regular dual sport kit that contains our head lights for $459.95.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/SearchByKeyword?word=121430

Looks like a nice kit but all my friends are going with the tusk kit because of price is 169 and offers the same parts.

Looks like a nice kit but all my friends are going with the tusk kit because of price is 169 and offers the same parts.

I have the Tusk Kit on my CA plated 2007 WR450 and love it. Your stock headlight has dual beam (hilow) but the tusk kit does not come with a high beam indicator light which you need to pass the CA light inspection. It was all plug and play other than the high beam indicator light which I bought at Radio Shack for $2 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12582707&filterName=Category I used the Tusk Hand guard turn signals and have had no issues. The rear turn signals are stuck on the side of the fender and stayed put for over a year now. Good clean install. No key though.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured that I would let everyone know what it takes to get your WR registered in CA. I talked to a person at DMV after a 3 hour wait. She had to pull out a book with all the information in it to tell me what I need. I needed to get a

Motorcycle statement of facts saying that you have completed the inspection by CHP

Vehicle verification

Light inspection

CHP 888 form which states that it was inspected by the CHP to follow all the state laws (This includes having your bike with a sticker from the EPA saying it meets all the requirements for emissions).

I found that sticker on the frame when I had to turn the front wheel because the front fender was in the way. It did say that the bike meets the inspection for off highway. So I don't know if that will mean that the CHP will not pass it or not. Once that takes place I will update this but it's as it stands right now.

Good luck, Let us know how it turns out. My concerns when going to the CHP were the none DOT knobbies I had on the bike and the rear turn signals being on the rear fender and not 14" apart. The CHP did not make an issue of either one of those. The Tusk racing hand guard turn signals are the required 14" so no worries there.

Not to brag or anything ? but all I did hear in AZ was install the tusk taillight with license plate holder, folding mirror, horn, and rear brake switch. Then I went to the DMV (left my bike at home) told them it was legal, paid $7 dollars and got a license plate. ? . AZ rocks :ride:

I also have a tusk kit on my crf450x. It work wells and was very simple to install.

OK Kawi380 we in the mighty state of CA have an ocean and real mountains so there... ? Just because we have to jump through 47 hoops with a magic wand to get our bikes plated does not mean it can't be done. So maybe we should all move to sunny AZ...? I am tempted many times.

No no no, I think all the regulation and gov't control is just what is needed. ? You can all come to AZ as long as you are all hardcore dirt bikers. :ride:

Not to brag or anything ? but all I did hear in AZ was install the tusk taillight with license plate holder, folding mirror, horn, and rear brake switch. Then I went to the DMV (left my bike at home) told them it was legal, paid $7 dollars and got a license plate. ? . AZ rocks :ride:

I also have a tusk kit on my crf450x. It work wells and was very simple to install.

Not to Bragg or anything but in calgary they don't even get to see the bike, they trust us that it's street legal ? it was technically street legal status before I put my kit on