2011 fuel mileage woes...

Raced my 2011 WR in a fast hare scramble on sunday, pretty open track so i was cranking a bit.. I have done al the free mods, Put the jets in the come with the AIS removal kit, took the spark arrestor and baffle out of the factory exhaust, otherwise stock bike..I ran out of fuel at 33 miles and had to switch to reserve.. the bike runs flawless, starts up easy and never misses a beat.. i dont remember the jets that came with the kit, im thinkin a 48 pilot, 165 main?? Dont remember tho.. I was pretty disappointed with the fuel mileage, even riding it hard that seems to be a pretty crappy range.. From some posts it seems everyone else is gettin better mileage.. Im not in a hurry to mess with jetting since the bikes runs so well.. any ideas??

Racing is totally different to road riding - mpg plummets on the track

I race mine (2008 model) and I use approx 4L/hour of racing (average of 20mph)

The most I have used is 4.25l/hour (25mph on fast track)

how long were you racing for before it ran onto reserve, as time is better indicator than mileage, when doing H&H

On the odd occasion on the road, I get 45mpg, but that's back lane twisties and canning it

Only other possibility is sticky / leaking float valve in carb and its dumping its fuel through the overflow pipe

Tank was filled to the brim for sure.. Time wise I was just over 2 hrs of racing before i ran out.. If bike was too rich wouldnt it give me some type of driveability problem?? hard starting?? something?? Only other thing i could think of was if it was draining out the overflow..?? If that is the case that means to float level is set too high?? Or it may just be normal.. My 02 426 was WAAYYY better on fuel than this thirsty pig!! Thanks for the replies

2 hrs of racing isn't bad!! That's why lots of racers use oversize fuel tanks. These heavy-weight pigs are thirsty!!! I run a 3.6 gallon tank on mine for Hare Scrambles.

Maniac

I bought a 3.2 gallon tank and put on it, but now it feels like my 02 426 did!! freakin tank is huge, i cant imagine a 3.6 gallon!! I just thought that was excessive consumption.. Hell, my buddies MX 2 stroke does better than that on H/S's..

you doing good getting 2hrs of racing out of the std tank

I've got a clarke o/s tank

it holds 14.6 litres

yes its big but you get used to it and the bike will do three hours on it no problem, which is the longest type of race i do

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the post and decided to test it myself on mine. 07 wr 450, 13/52 gearing, snorkle removed, ais removed, pea shooter removed, gray and blue wire mod and jetted for 0 to 1000 feet. I did 63.2 miles on the stock tank pre reserve. 23.2 mi dirt and asphalt roads with topspeed test of 83.8 mph. Average asphalt speed including topspeed test 49.7 mph. The rest of the tank was used on 4wheeler trails and mostly single track bike trails and no track woods rideing. Top trail speed 39.9 mph speed with an average speed 12.6 mph.