Lock up?

Yesterday my '00 426 siezed! What is the cost of a cylinder vs. rebuilding it? What is the turn around time on rebuilding?

I hate reading these kinda things>Sorry to hear this.

Man I shudder when I hear news like this! Please give us more detail, how was the bike being ridden at the time of seizure, how old is the bike, how often did you change the oil, etc.

------------------

Matt W

00 YZ426F

94 YZ 250

http://www.mattwilliard.com

"Don't worry about me, how's my bike ?"

how do you know that the bike needs a cyl mabey the crank or trany seized did you take it apart yet? i hope you didn't have a wiseco piston ,i bought one and two rides later the wrist pin that came with the piston broke no fun trust me and wiseco says they are only responsable for replacement of the piston even though it wiped ot my whole lower end a'm still agruing with them trying to get some money

The bike was being WFO down a road, the oil is fine, the radiator was empty and after it cooled it broke loose, therefore I know its the top end. Now can I get an answer to my questains and not get the THIRD DEGREE??? And yes I know that I will have to find out where the coolant went to and fix the cooling problem as well. FYI I am a mechanic for a living for 25+ years, I keep 3 of my friends bikes going as well, and can even split the cases!!!!! Just answer my questains, Thanks

No need to get grouchy Mark. We are here to help. :) I can order a cylinder and whatever other parts you need for a good price, or you can have your cylinder replated if necessary. It would be a good time to go to a bigger bore if you want to. Eric Gorr has reasonable prices for this work. Let me know if I can help.

At least you know what caused it to seize, that's the main part. Are these cylinders nickasil (sp?) plated? I've seen cylinders plated with this stuff (mostly 2-strokes) where the bike seizes, the piston is trashed and the cylinder is OK after using some acid to eat the piston parts off of the cylinder. I don't remember what type of acid was used but aparently it won't eat the plating on the cylinder. You may want to take it apart and figure out exactly what you need and then weigh your options at that point. I would check the rod and bearings to be sure they're still in spec as well. A seizure while WFO is a lot of pressure for those parts to take. Also check the head and cylinder top and bottom for flatness in case the high temp caused one or both to warp. Then again you're a mechanic so I'm sure I don't have to say all of this. :) Good luck!

Also just for the record, I think that Matt W was asking for the details only because any time this happens we all like to know the details in case there is a trend with certain parts breaking that we shoud all watch out for.

Muriatic acid (swimming pool supply type) will remove aluminum from a cylinder without removing any of the plating. But it will remove material from anywhere it touches aluminum. Plus it is very caustic and creates a huge amount of nasty odors. Use in a very well ventilated area. But it can save your cylinder.

Eric Gorr does excellent work. A 2mm overbore will put you in the 450 club.

------------------

MX Tuner

I apologize if it seems my post was giving you the 3rd degree, because that was not my intent. Sirthumpalot, thanks for coming to my defense and yes that is exactly why I was asking the questions. I am a novice with the new high compression 4-strokes, and I just wanted to be sure your issue could not possibly become mine at some time in the future.

------------------

Matt W

00 YZ426F

94 YZ 250

http://www.mattwilliard.com

"Don't worry about me, how's my bike ?"