If you were to leave the Yamaha what brand would you jump to and why

Like the thread says. I have the 2011 YX450F and I'm pretty sure that I need more practice on it b/c I only have about 5 hours on it but I just feel like the front it light and its going to wash out from in front of me on turns. I love the bike and don't wont to get rid of it but I've been thinking about selling it and getting a KX or RM

Try the engine repositioning kit from Dubach Racing Development (DrD). It addresses the exact issue you speak of, and most users of the product seem happy with it.

Had the same problem with my 2011 yz450. Very frustating at first but with the help of a friend I setup my suspension with motocrossactionmag.com recommendations and it help alot, feel very comfortable riding now.

I currently ride 250f's but if I were going with a 450, I'd still try to stay with Yamaha as long as I could get used to that bike. Like said above, seems like it's all in the set-up, plus the relocation kit would be nice. But if I didn't get a YZ then I'd get a Honda for sure. I feel comfortable with the quality of Hondas, plus I love how light their 450s are. And a ton of my friends have them and all have no complaints.

Edited by ah665

I currently ride 250f's but if I were going with a 450, I'd still try to stay with Yamaha as long as I could get used to that bike. like said above, seems like it's all in the set-up, plus the relocation kit would be ice. but if I didn't get a YZ then I'd get a Honda for sure. I feel comfortable with the quality of Hondas, plus I love how light their 450s are. And a ton of my friends have them and all have no complaints.

Is that a joke about Honda quality? I know a lot of people that got sucked into the magazine hype about Hondas. They think they are great because the magazine says so but every one of them rebuild the motor in a regular basis. The quality of the Honda motor is the worst!! I'll keep my Yamaha that will just keep running and running!

I've owned nearly all brands in the last 10 years and would stick with the Yamaha. The Honda is the only bike I've ever had to push back to the pits - the quality is hype. Simply set up the bike to your liking (the MXA tips are accurate) and put in seat time. I really like my '11 and plan on getting a holdover '12 as my "final" bike.

No, it wasn't meant to be a joke. I don't know if I'd buy a Honda 250f but for 450 I don't see too many problems. All my friends that had the 05-08 gen all loved them and now the new gen, aside from the clutch, still doesn't seem like any of them are having problems. MXA actually says that Hondas aren't tops in quality (that would go to the blue bikes, followed by orange), so not sure which hype you are referring to. I've had a few Suzukis and experienced tranny/false nuetrals in the last 2 I bought, which is why I did not buy another. Also didn't like the durability of my race quad either (LT450R). Have a TRX450R and so far I like it a lot. In general, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a Honda or Yamaha, just based from any experience I've had as well as many of my friends that I ride with. I would have confidence in the Yam 450 abovee all others, in quality but I just would wanna make sure I could get used to the handling before I drop the $ on one.

Edited by ah665

No, it wasn't meant to be a joke. I don't know if I'd buy a Honda 250f but for 450 I don't see too many problems. All my friends that had the 05-08 gen all loved them and now the new gen, aside from the clutch, still doesn't seem like any of them are having problems. MXA actually says that Hondas aren't tops in quality (that would go to the blue bikes, followed by orange), so not sure which hype you are referring to. I've had a few Suzukis and experienced tranny/false nuetrals in the last 2 I bought, which is why I did not buy another. Also didn't like the durability of my race quad either (LT450R). Have a TRX450R and so far I like it a lot. In general, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a Honda or Yamaha, just based from any experience I've had as well as many of my friends that I ride with. I would have confidence in the Yam 450 abovee all others, in quality but I just would wanna make sure I could get used to the handling before I drop the $ on one.

I think your friends may not be telling you the truth about the 450's. Every person that I know rebuilds the 250 and 450 all the time. Valves #1 cranks # 2 and then internal shafts. They are simply junk and I would never be foolish enough to ever go down that road! I'm NOT a sheep!!

I wouldn't give up on a spankin new 2011 just yet. I felt the same way on it (even coming off a 250 2t) until I got my suspension all dialed. I've heard moving your engine forward completely solves that issues as well. IMO this bike is revolutionary. It has a few things to work out (mainly the problem you speak of)... but I just think it's an all around killer bike. I'm a Yamaha fanatic though... so maybe my opinion is a bit biased.

KTM 500 EXC...... I want a plate!

Kawasaki's 450 because my brother and his kids have 3 of them and would be able to work on mine without issue, ha.

My first bike was a 1984 Suzuki JR50. I moved to a RM80, RM125, and then a RM250. I didn't make the switch to Yamaha until I got a second hand YZ426F. I Love the Yamahas to death but if I were to get another "thumper" it would problably be the yellow one.

Edited by idle_mind

KTM 300 smoker <3 =)

Either Kawi 4 stroke or KTM 2 stroke

Probably would go for Honda. Rode red for over 10 years. Great quality, no mechanical issues at all in those 10 years , nice design and usually good handling.

Different issues for me. My only beef with Yamaha is a lack of a purpose-built off-road race bike (the new WR450 does move a little closer to that). So my choice would likely be a big bore KTM, now that the chassis works better. Something with race breeding, a good tall top gear, and enough electrical power to run a good light setup.

All in all, though, it's pretty hypothetical. I'm not apt to dump my YZ.

So much trolling in this thread I am having a hard time trying to hold back...

Honestly all the bikes built in the last few years are pretty damned good. You need to ignore the fanboys and go sit on all the bikes and if you can ride them all and see which one is to your liking (size, weight, power/ usable power, handling, suspension, cost, ergos and so much more). If I had to switch I would likely go to KTM but stay in a 4T. Not sure if I would stay 450 or not though.

I have a Honda CRF450X and its been nothing short of perfect but I hate how bulky it is but is great for the riding I do.

My two buddies own(ed) a Yamaha 450F 2011 and 2010. My best friend with the 2010 traded his in for a 2012 KF450F because of all the hype around it an it has been a great bike with gobs of power albeit when I rode it seemed like alot of the power was not usable but the bike is tunable.

My other buddy absolutely loves 2011 YZ450F and will never switch from Yamaha, the look of the bike is awesome, the digital tuner he loves, the only thing he hates is the location of the air filter.

I have another buddy who is 6'4" and bought the Honda CRF450R. The CRF450R was designed for the vertically challenged and now hates it. He bought it on the fact that Honda builds an overall excellent bike but did not take into consideration the ergos or size of himself compared to the bike.

My employer/boss hates 4T all together and will troll up and down when it comes to 2T vs 4T. Any talk of going to any 4T and he just will not have it.

Everyone has an opinion but do your own research.

Edited by mobgma

A couple of weeks ago I got to do six motos at Pax track in Florida on 5 different bikes. Pax is a fast track with a lot of pretty good jumps. It isn't one of my favorite tracks because they don't let it get rough so it isn't very technical and anyone can go fast there if they are not afraid to air it out. Problem is I tend to over jump and flat land too much at Pax when I'm trying to go fast.

I started on my '09 YZ450 to warm up and learn the track. I next rode a '12 KX450, followed by a '12 YZ450. I then rode my YZ125 to acclimate myself to two strokes before jumping on a new '12 KTM 250 2-stroke. My final moto was back on my old trusty '09.

I was blown away by the power and handling of the KX. Except for the forks I thought it was awesome from the first lap. I didn't have any problems making it turn and it has a hell of a motor. More electric feel than any bike I've ever ridden. I did tip over in a rutted corner and dirtied the front fender and since I was the first to fall on it the owner wasn't thrilled.

I was once again disappointed by the new Yamaha. I've been riding Yamahas for 17 years and I would like to stick with them so this isn't the first or second time I've tried to like them. I just don't. the motor was great but the bike felt long and heavy to me and kind of clumsy. I felt that way the first time I rode one and that is why I bought the left over '09.

It only took a lap or two to really start appreciating how great the little 125 is. What can I say. I love that bike and it makes me smile every time I ride it.

I had mixed feeling about the KTM. It handled really well, it felt light and it was a 2-stroke. What's not to like? Well the forks felt pretty harsh after riding the top Jap bikes. I guess you could pay to have that fixed. I was also disappointed with the power delivery. I had just climbed off the 125 and I was enthusiastically expecting a killer hit but it wasn't there. I found out later that the owner had installed some power valve spring or another that would make the bike more manageable. I would really like to ride it without the rev limiter installed. It was still fast and I didn't have an problems turning times as fast as the other bikes but it could have been a lot more entertaining. I was so comfortable that I hit all the big jumps on the first lap and that is saying a lot for me.

I took a final fatigued moto on my trusty '09. It felt so old and worn I was immediately depressed. A couple of weeks off to vacation in Brazil and the poor old bike feeling went away when I got back to riding. That '09 is a great bike but it took a different pipe to get it there.

On a side note I have put in quite a few laps on my my dad's RM450. Everyone says I look fastest on the Suzuki but we don't have any lap times to back it up. That bike turns great and I wouldn't mind owning one.

In conclusion I have decided that if Yamaha doesn't make some refinements on their new 450 that I will be on a Kawasaki by the end of the year. This is just one mans opinion but did I back it up with experience.

--KT--

Edited by MXKyle

A couple of weeks ago I got to do six motos at Pax track in Florida on 5 different bikes. Pax is a fast track with a lot of pretty good jumps. It isn't one of my favorite tracks because they don't let it get rough so it isn't very technical and anyone can go fast there if they are not afraid to air it out. Problem is I tend to over jump and flat land too much at Pax when I'm trying to go fast.

I started on my '09 YZ450 to warm up and learn the track. I next rode a '12 KX450, followed by a '12 YZ450. I then rode my YZ125 to acclimate myself to two strokes before jumping on a new '12 KTM 250 2-stroke. My final moto was back on my old trusty '09.

I was blown away by the power and handling of the KX. Except for the forks I thought it was awesome from the first lap. I didn't have any problems making it turn and it has a hell of a motor. More electric feel than any bike I've ever ridden. I did tip over in a rutted corner and dirtied the front fender and since I was the first to fall on it the owner wasn't thrilled.

I was once again disappointed by the new Yamaha. I've been riding Yamahas for 17 years and I would like to stick with them so this isn't the first or second time I've tried to like them. I just don't. the motor was great but the bike felt long and heavy to me and kind of clumsy. I felt that way the first time I rode one and that is why I bought the left over '09.

It only took a lap or two to really start appreciating how great the little 125 is. What can I say. I love that bike and it makes me smile every time I ride it.

I had mixed feeling about the KTM. It handled really well, it felt light and it was a 2-stroke. What's not to like? Well the forks felt pretty harsh after riding the top Jap bikes. I guess you could pay to have that fixed. I was also disappointed with the power delivery. I had just climbed off the 125 and I was enthusiastically expecting a killer hit but it wasn't there. I found out later that the owner had installed some power valve spring or another that would make the bike more manageable. I would really like to ride it without the rev limiter installed. It was still fast and I didn't have an problems turning times as fast as the other bikes but it could have been a lot more entertaining. I was so comfortable that I hit all the big jumps on the first lap and that is saying a lot for me.

I took a final fatigued moto on my trusty '09. It felt so old and worn I was immediately depressed. A couple of weeks off to vacation in Brazil and the poor old bike feeling went away when I got back to riding. That '09 is a great bike but it took a different pipe to get it there.

On a side note I have put in quite a few laps on my my dad's RM450. Everyone says I look fastest on the Suzuki but we don't have any lap times to back it up. That bike turns great and I wouldn't mind owning one.

In conclusion I have decided that if Yamaha doesn't make some refinements on their new 450 that I will be on a Kawasaki by the end of the year. This is just one mans opinion but did I back it up with experience.

--KT--

Great reviews. I love my 11 YZ450, but really that doesn't mean much because I haven't ridden other bikes back to back to compare it to. All I've really done so far is a Yosh slip on, new tires (M403/404's), the MXA suspension settings to start, moved the forks up 5mm in the tubes and put on Windham bend bars. A buddy of mine just bought a 2011 KX450, so I'll have to try that out.

I came off of a 2001 YZ426, so my current bike feels like a works bike compared to the old dog. But, for green sticker purposes, I'm keeping it. :banghead:

I'd love to try a few of the others out.

Edited by jcm3

--KT--

You are hoping for Yamaha to make some kind of a mid year update? Chances of that are slim and none, may as well go green now if that's what you want to do.