Making bikes easier to ride: right or wrong

Where do you draw the line when making a bike easier to ride? I'm talking about adding auto-clutches, better throttle control (4 strokes), intelligent suspension (in the future).

Obviously they are all regularly debated topics on these forums. But I wonder about taking a more philosophical approach and discussing whether it's bad to go too far down the path of 'easy to ride'. For example one argument might be this:

Imagine a perfect bike that soaked up all the bumps for you automatically. It had an automatic throttle control system that kept the throttle at a nice consistent speed. Basically all you had to do was sit and it and it would even adjust it's own balance to keep it all in control.

You might think I have a view that helpful things are bad on motorbikes, but I'm really just wondering like most other people.

I like my throttle to be like a ravaging beast when i twist it, but having an autoclutch to have one less thing to worry about when it gets tight would be nice. I like to have some feel to my suspension because otherwise it slides around like crazy in turns because it would never "grab". But having good suspension only makes sense.

Depends entirely on the person. Personally, when possible, I like to master one bit at a time and then crank up the difficulty when it starts to get boring or too comfortable. I would probably do the same on my bike if possible.

You have to remember too that if all of those things were already managed you might just advance further and find challenges that are difficult even with all of the assistance.

Edited by Oic0

I think the dividing line in technology is when most people wont pay for some new & advanced feature. I'm wondering where that line is with the average 450 getting closer & closer to the 10k mark. I'm still in the group that thinks auto clutches are like cheating. :banghead:

• Like 2

I see what you're trying to ask - when does making it easier go too far and make it no fun to ride? For me, an autoclutch wouldn't do it, but a full automatic would take the fun out. Traction control would also reduce my fun. As far as theoretical stuff like the bike auto-adjusting COG so you could turn without leaning or climb hills without moving forward to avoid looping out, I probably wouldn't want that stuff.

That's all for my riding of course. If I was doing trials, or motocross, or desert racing, I might have a different opinion.

I like my Bikes/Cars to be a little challenging to ride/drive. Cars for example, I hate ABS, Traction control, stability control. I feel as tho I can think faster than the Traction and Stability controls and they really just slow my reaction down. ABS is probably a good thing, but it still annoys me.

I would hate it if bikes became that way. Why sell to the lowest common denominator? Bikes need to be fun and challenging or what is the point?

• Like 1

i run an auto clutch and LOVE it...my bike is setup and personalized for me to the point that most other people don't like to ride it. i dont think all my "personalizations" ncessarily make it easier to ride...just more enjoyable...for me its like the difference in a cheap pair of shoes in the wrong size and a pair of custom fit shoes perfectly suited to me.

I do whatever makes ME have more fun, thats the whole point to dirt biking right? More control and comfort to me makes for a better day. When it comes down to skills though, i think 90% of it is the rider. You can have the best mods in the world but if its put in the wrong hands its almost useless.

• Like 1

I race off roads and enduro's and both my bike have rekluse clutch's in them, some so called 'purists' have said its cheating and/or its not right,

My question to them always is "why do you ride a 2012 bike?" "why not use last years model?"

the answer is always the same, "why would I do that?, the new model is better and more advanced and improves my riding! "

There is your anwer, the rekluse improves certain riders, its not for everyone, but if you dont see the need for it, dont bash it

Where do you draw the line when making a bike easier to ride? I'm talking about adding auto-clutches, better throttle control (4 strokes), intelligent suspension (in the future).

Obviously they are all regularly debated topics on these forums. But I wonder about taking a more philosophical approach and discussing whether it's bad to go too far down the path of 'easy to ride'. For example one argument might be this:

Imagine a perfect bike that soaked up all the bumps for you automatically. It had an automatic throttle control system that kept the throttle at a nice consistent speed. Basically all you had to do was sit and it and it would even adjust it's own balance to keep it all in control.

You might think I have a view that helpful things are bad on motorbikes, but I'm really just wondering like most other people.

I'll take one...sounds like fun. I wonder how fast I could go :banghead:

Don't wanna give up my smokers and their manual clutch though.

Traction control, auto clutches, and any other sort of rider aid makes things boring. I like to see lots of skill being employed when I watch people ride and I like to have full control of everything while I ride. I'm the same way with cars. I have never bought a vehicle with an auto trans or even ABS.

I think four strokes are too easy to ride. Lots of noobs running around tracks riding way over their heads because all they have to do is twist the grip and go. Unsafe for them and the people around them.

I like my Bikes/Cars to be a little challenging to ride/drive. Cars for example, I hate ABS, Traction control, stability control. I feel as tho I can think faster than the Traction and Stability controls and they really just slow my reaction down. ABS is probably a good thing, but it still annoys me.

I would hate it if bikes became that way. Why sell to the lowest common denominator? Bikes need to be fun and challenging or what is the point?

The same people that love adventure and challenging ride!!!

The easier the bikes get to ride the more difficult the obstacles will get to conquer. We have already seen an insane increase in the danger factor in free riding from days gone by. From whips to double front flips and in sking with advance in technology from spread eagle and back scratcher to 920 cross.

My opinion? it's a skill vs. speed thing. And right now the racers obviously want to get to the finish line first, so it's all about who makes the fastest bike. The easier it is to ride, the faster a human can ride it. That's why there's vintage racing, for those of us who enjoy riding our bikes, and not purely racing.

The easier the bikes get to ride the more difficult the obstacles will get to conquer. We have already seen an insane increase in the danger factor in free riding from days gone by. From whips to double front flips and in sking with advance in technology from spread eagle and back scratcher to 920 cross.

The problem I have with all the aerial gymnastics is just that....it reminds me of a gymnast, and those guys wear tights. Gotta be something wrong going on there :banghead:

All of this is what makes riding fun and challenging.

• Balancing on two-wheels is more challenging than an ATV, etc. This is similar to the Can-Am 3-wheeled bikes.

• Using a clutch makes it harder. Auto-clutch takes away from the experience, in my opinion.
  • Jumps are harder and slower than a straightaway. That is why they are there. If the shocks were perfect, then why bother having a jump?
  • ETC

If you take all of that away, it will be less fun.

This question is already being experienced in the asphalt world; the old-school faction says that it is cheating/takes away throttle control/etc, all of which is true, but the youngsters point out like the poster above, that none of us ride the stuff that Sylvester Roper was putting out in 1867...