steering stem noise

Hey guys! I got a 2009 yz450f yesterday and I noticed if I'm off the bike, and hold the brake in and push down on the front forks I hear like a clunking sound.

Now if I sit on the bike I.don't hear the sound. Do you guys think something is messed up.in my forks? Or do you guys think its my steering stem?

Thanks guys and god.bless!!

Alex

My guess is that the steering head bearings are shot. When you are off the bike and push down you can hear the play clunking around in the steering head, but when you are on the bike already the head is already in the position it wants to be when you push on the bars. Check for play in your steering head.

The thing is I really don't feel any play in the steering stem. Would you think its the fork? Or do.you.think i should tighten up the steering head?

Check the torque on the steering head nut just because it's easier than digging into your forks.

take the steering stem assembly apart add a bunch of grease and tighten it right

The thing is I really don't feel any play in the steering stem. Would you think its the fork? Or do.you.think i should tighten up the steering head?

It won't hurt to tear it down and grease it if you haven't done that this year yet. But the noise may not be coming from there. Grab the top triple clamp and the steering head both at once with one hand while you rock it against the brake to see if you can feel any movement between them. The clunk could also be in either fork leg, the caliper mount, the brake pads chucking in the caliper, the disc moving on the disc hub, a wheel bearing, etc. Try holding various parts while a helper does the rocking so you can run it down. Just be careful where you put your fingers.