Thinking to get a wr 450.

Hi, ive been looking for a enduro bike since a while, i was first thinking about the crf450, but their vavle problem turn me down, then i was thinking about the exc 450, but apparently its a real maintenance whore, so i give up this one, finnaly the wr 450, wich is the best for my need (Except for the Te449, but cannot afford a new one).

So i found a 2003 for 2600$, renew engine since last spring and ran only 400km since, and a 2004 for 3200$, 2000km, but has everything stock, only fluid change has been done so i was wondering if piston change and such is imminent.

I was thinking if it worth the 600 extra buck and 200 extra km to get the 2004 or if the 2003 is fine?

Edited by insistent

The 04 has the starter issue fixed... Seems pricey though. See if you can lower the price a bit. Mines got a few km on it and I won't do the valves till it needs them. Probably at the end of the year after I put on 8000k this year

Hi, ive been looking for a enduro bike since a while, i was first thinking about the crf450, but their vavle problem turn me down, then i was thinking about the exc 450, but apparently its a real maintenance whore, so i give up this one, finnaly the wr 450, wich is the best for my need (Except for the Te449, but cannot afford a new one).

So i found a 2003 for 2600$, renew engine since last spring and ran only 400km since, and a 2004 for 3200$, 2000km, but has everything stock, only fluid change has been done so i was wondering if piston change and such is imminent.

I was thinking if it worth the 600 extra buck and 200 extra km to get the 2004 or if the 2003 is fine?

WR450 are long term keeper bikes. Negotiate the best price you can on either one.

Definitely go with the 03 because the engine has been freshened up. But make sure it was done correctly. Do you know what in particular was done? Be sure to fix the starter problems with that year. What about things like wheel, swing arm, linkage and steering bearings. Have they been changed or greased. Replacing all of those is about $300.

No extras?

In a year, you should put a new piston in it anyway. Change the oil pump too. You need to get inside so you know all about it.

btw... I am just now putting in my second piston since 2005. I have ridden my bike a lot. These will last a while

Edited by mauricedorris

Everything is a lot more expensive here, with a lower gain and higher taxes, i wont find a 2k bike that arent 1998 or lower. A store would sell these bike 4-5k.

Anyway, these are the best offer i found, im pretty sure there is lower than 15 used wr 450 for sale in the whole quebec region.

Also, what is the difference between the 03 and 04?

Heres a pic of the 2004. 2000km

7581bn5_20.jpeg

Only got this 1.

And 2003. Unknown km but higher than 2000km.

But i called the owner, he said he changed the crank, piston, cylinder, readjusted valve, cleaned carburator and such.

Huge pic

http://img710.images...6/photo4rxt.jpg

http://img703.images...03/photo2bn.jpg

http://img857.images...80/photo1vm.jpg

Should i still pick the 2003?

I was also wondering if MX boot are required for ride in the wood?

Edited by insistent

Everything is a lot more expensive here, with a lower gain and higher taxes, i wont find a 2k bike that arent 1998 or lower. A store would sell these bike 4-5k.

Anyway, these are the best offer i found, im pretty sure there is lower than 15 used wr 450 for sale in the whole quebec region.

Also, what is the difference between the 03 and 04?

Heres a pic of the 2004. 2000km

7581bn5_20.jpeg

Only got this 1.

And 2003. Unknown km but higher than 2000km.

But i called the owner, he said he changed the crank, piston, cylinder, readjusted valve, cleaned carburator and such.

Huge pic

http://img710.images...6/photo4rxt.jpg

http://img703.images...03/photo2bn.jpg

http://img857.images...80/photo1vm.jpg

Should i still pick the 2003?

I was also wondering if MX boot are required for ride in the wood?

Is it me, or does the wear on the clutch and ignition covers for the 2003 indicate that its has a little less wear? Maybe that 2004 has more hours on it that he's saying.

Which one has the stronger engine? That's what you want. If the 2003 has been rebuilt, and you trust that, then get it. Its just a starting point anyways.

I would buy the 2003 based on looks.

Thats also what i though, That 03 is owned by a father of someone who was selling a SUPER CLEAN 2004 for 3000$ and about 2k km, both son and father are selling his bike, i called them for the son 2004 and they said they sold it like almost immediatly, but he passed the phone to his father and he said that he also got 1 for, but he told me that the speedometer doesnt work, but doesnt really matter, i can fix it, but i trust them.

If you are near the boarder you bight want to look in the US market. I know several people From just north of me have come down and snatched up bikes from this area when your Dollar is strong. Here a 2006 goes for around 2500. 07 start at 3000 with plenty of hours. I'm not sure what the deal is with bringing it back is though. I like the looks of the 03 my self from the pics. Good luck which ever way you go.

Im from northern quebec, reaching border will be at least 1200km, plus the travel in the US, will cost me a shit load of fuel if i use a pickup.

So the best solution is probably to take the 2003 for 2600$, if the starter break, id use the kickstart untill i fix it.

What ya think?

Im from northern quebec, reaching border will be at least 1200km, plus the travel in the US, will cost me a shit load of fuel if i use a pickup.

So the best solution is probably to take the 2003 for 2600$, if the starter break, id use the kickstart untill i fix it.

What ya think?

Given your situation I think you have a good plan.

I watched the picture closely, the bike would probably need new sprocket, tire, chain. But thats what i think, i may be wrong, but if its the case, how much could it totally cost?

I was also thinking if i should get lowering link, i am 5'8.

Edited by insistent

I like the looks and sound of the 06 and the price for your area isn't way out there. yes it has some time on it and yes it has been down but he did not try to pretty the bike up to sell it. I would rather see the damage up front rather than have someone buy all new plastic. When they do that it makes me wonder how bad it really was.

Mechanically speaking there are really only very minor differences between the 03 and 06 WR's (except the 03 starter issue) so there is no reason really to chose one over the other.

The one in the vid was well ridden, and a little beat in my opinion, but looked solid enough.

Your call, only looking in person and meeting the PO can you get a feel for a deal in my book. I met some bad PO's with beautiful bikes I walked from and some beat bikes with good heads up PO's that I would have not bought had I not met them first.

Mike

well since the USD and the loony are even.. those bikes are a rip. I got my 07 for $3400 and it was still on the stock tires. you should be able to find something newer if you hold out

Edited by n16ht5

Yeah, cannot get a better price, thats quebec, everything is expensive and gouverment will do everything to take the money from my pocket (AKA 1400$ for a 1000cc+ bike plate for 1 years for 1 season. Thats without the insurance.)

Probably because there is only 7 million people on the entire quebec area, and HALF the people live in montreal, so more tax for lower population rate

But i found a 2006 KTM EXC 525, it has 160 total hour, akrapovic line, stadium fork and new rear tire, negociated to 3500$.

http://qc.kijiji.ca/...QAdIdZ374536237

More maintenance, but dang, better live with it, and worth it for that beast.

Edited by insistent

Yeah, cannot get a better price, thats quebec, everything is expensive and gouverment will do everything to take the money from my pocket (AKA 1400$ for a 1000cc+ bike plate for 1 years for 1 season. Thats without the insurance.)

Probably because there is only 7 million people on the entire quebec area, and HALF the people live in montreal, so more tax for lower population rate

But i found a 2006 KTM EXC 525, it has 160 total hour, akrapovic line, stadium fork and new rear tire, negociated to 3500$.

http://qc.kijiji.ca/...QAdIdZ374536237

More maintenance, but dang, better live with it, and worth it for that beast.

My friend has that bike but a 2004 and he says it's less maintenance than mine