Running 87 octane in 250cc 2-stroke?

Not a good idea. 5000ft isn't that high, 2 strokes like to detonate on modern straight 91 pump at sea level, so your bike is probably happy were it is. Alot happier than you'll be if your piston ends up with a hole in it and your head destroyed by detonation.

Certainly not worth the minor price difference in gas.

If you do not gt any pining or detonation, run the lower octane. You always want to run the lowest octane you can with out issues.

Using the search function would provide you with 11,000 threads on the subject.

Yeah I know there was probably a million threads on it, but I didn't want to spend an hour and a half searching for someone that was at the same elevation with the same bike asking about the same octane. Thanks for the info btw!

Not a good idea. 5000ft isn't that high, 2 strokes like to detonate on modern straight 91 pump at sea level, so your bike is probably happy were it is. Alot happier than you'll be if your piston ends up with a hole in it and your head destroyed by detonation.

Certainly not worth the minor price difference in gas.

Well if you guys are so certain it will hurt it I can get 91. But it'll only be 2-3 gallons instead of 5.

How much more does a gallon of premium cost where you are? Here in WA most of the time it's +10¢ for mid grade(89) and 10¢ more than that for premium(92),so it would only save me a dollar to buy 5 gallons of 87 instead of my usual 92.

Honestly since I haven't ridden for 7 months I couldn't tell you the prices. But I do remember that 5 gal. of pre. would be about $35, plus $15 for a qt of oil. So it was $50 every week and a half just for gas. I'll see what the prices are later today and see if I can get 5 gallons of pre.

$7 a gallon can't be right. We have some of the higher gas prices in the nation here,and the cheapest I've found regular this week was $3.88. So even if I were to tack 30¢ a gallon on for premium it would be barely over $4 a gallon. I think when you investigate prices you will find its cheaper than you remember. I did drive through Utah one time on a road trip to Vegas in a rented Lincoln Towncar,and it started running like crap after we fueled up there. It was later that we realized that the regular grade fuel we bought was only 85 octane.

$7 a gallon can't be right. We have some of the higher gas prices in the nation here,and the cheapest I've found regular this week was $3.88. So even if I were to tack 30¢ a gallon on for premium it would be barely over $4 a gallon. I think when you investigate prices you will find its cheaper than you remember. I did drive through Utah one time on a road trip to Vegas in a rented Lincoln Towncar,and it started running like crap after we fueled up there. It was later that we realized that the regular grade fuel we bought was only 85 octane.

$7/gal? Yeah that's not right lol... Is 85 that low? My dad runs that in his Grand Caravan and it runs fine.

In Minnesota, if you want 87 octane, they all seem to have ethanol in them. To get an ethanol-free fuel, it seems you HAVE TO buy 91. That alone is a reason for me to stick with 91 for the extra 10 or 20 cents per gal. I know some states don't have that option in that they all have ethanol except for the $7 or $8 per gallon full race fuel.

Honestly since I haven't ridden for 7 months I couldn't tell you the prices. But I do remember that 5 gal. of pre. would be about $35, plus $15 for a qt of oil. So it was $50 every week and a half just for gas. I'll see what the prices are later today and see if I can get 5 gallons of pre.

Seems like you pay little attention to what things cost. Being more aware could help save you a few bucks here and there. Perhaps spending $15 on a qt of oil should be where you try and make some savings? Are you buying oil with gold in it?

Around where I live you can buy the ethanol free 92 for just over 4 bucks a gallon. If paying 20-30 cents more per gallon is breaking your bank, perhaps it is time for a different hobby or skipping out on your morning coffee/energy drink a few times per week. I also have no idea what your age or financial situation is, sooo....

Cracks me up when people gripe over 20 cents extra on fuel. Hell, i fill up my truck with 91 when i ride most of the time. Just so i dont have to run my card twice. My truck holds 25 gallons, times 20 cents, thats only 5 bucks extra IF i fill it all the way. But when im bangin my card for 130 bucks at the pump these days, whats another 5 haha.

No im not rich, but if that extra couple bucks aint in your budget, its not worth risking pricey damage to your motor.

So, you're also mixing your pre-mix at 20:1? Souds like you need to invest in a Ratio Rite (less than $10) and learn to use it (32:1 for a 125). Then you can buy decent pre-mix in gallon containers (I pay about $25 for a gallon of Champion Water Pumper). Now you have cut the cost of oil by 75% per ride.