HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Excite-Bike

Which tire is more street/highway friendly? Shinko 244 or TKC80?

12 posts in this topic

Shinko , also look at the 700 series more of a road tire than the 244. The TKC won't last as long (cost way more $$$)as either the 244 or 700. I got 5000 miles my rear 700 the front is still going strong.

Shinko , also look at the 700 series more of a road tire than the 244. The TKC won't last as long (cost way more $$$)as either the 244 or 700. I got 5000 miles my rear 700 the front is still going strong.

Think there's any truth to the old saying "You get what you pay for" in this case?

Think there's any truth to the old saying "You get what you pay for" in this case?

Nope.

if expecting an off road tire then yes, but yeah in this case for a road tire no. I've heard the 244 is ok off road. Moderate conditions I'm sure.

I really like Bridestone TW301 and 302's. They do everything better then you'd expect, unless you expect knobbie performance off road.

Well, I've never used the Shinko tire, and I've only used the TKC80 on El Cerdo Grande, my 600 lb pig of a BMW, but . . . .

I've never been able to wear out a TKC80. They seem to last forever. I know I've put over 6K (mostly street) miles on each of them in the past. I've gone through three or more sets, and I've only changed a TKC80 because I was about to leave on a very long trip and wanted fresh tires, or once in Baja I changed the rear tire because I got tired of carrying the replacement around on the back of my bike (look closely at the back of my bike below). I think that the damn things last forever. In addition, I once earned a performance award in far western Utah for travelling at triple digit speeds while riding on them. You know those long straight roads get kinda boring.

I wouldn't use TKC80s if I was going to be riding seriously steep loose crap or in deep mud, or needed razor sharp handling in tricky woods riding, but I've been happy with them in sand and on lesser mud and hardish packed steep climbs. I don't think it's possible to tear the blocks off no matter how heavy your bike is or how fast you go on pavement (see "performance award" above). The tread appears to be made of iron.

If I was going to ride my DRZ from San Francisco to New Mexico to start the Continental Divide Trail, ride the 3K mile trail, and then ride all the way home from Banff on the northern mountain roads of BC, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and NorCal, I'd put TKC80s on my DRZ and they'd probably last the entire trip. Hmmnnnn . . . . maybe I should order up a set.

IMG_3730_small.jpg

if expecting an off road tire then yes, but yeah in this case for a road tire no. I've heard the 244 is ok off road. Moderate conditions I'm sure.

Yes, to what?

does that clear it up for you???