HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lisa Haataia

Best mods for 2010 450 (handling)

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to get my boyfriend something for his birthday coming up and want to hook up his bike. His bike is mainly stock except tires and hand guards. I am already getting him a 49-50 tooth rear sprocket as I have read its an easy change and makes third gear more usable. What other mods can I do that will help with handling that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Also we usually trail ride, but he does take his bike out to the track with the guys.

Thank you for your help!

I am already getting him a 49-50 tooth rear sprocket as I have read ...(it) makes third gear more usable.

I got a dollar that says you read that in MXA, no?

Regardless, something fairly inexpensive that's been getting good reviews is the engine repositioning kit from Dubach Racing Development.

Yes that is where I read that. Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into the engine repositioning kit. I swear I don't understand half of the dirt bike lingo "stink bug" stuff about the 450. Thank you!

MXA has recommended "adding a tooth to the rear to make third gear more usable" for nearly every MX bike made for the last 15 years or more. :banghead::thumbsup:

Lots of guys are actually doing this to the '10+ YZ450 and finding that they like it, though.

"Stink bug" refers to a bike that feels like the rear sits high and the front low. There's a lowering link to "cure" this, but from what I've seen here, most who have tried both seem to think the repositioning kit works better than the link, and that the two don't work well with each other.

Pinacate%20beetle_N.jpg

1. Make sure your springs are right for your weight.

2. I added 10cc of oil to the forks and decreased high speed compression damping in the shock to level out the bike.

3. Quality front tire.

That's about it - I really am impressed with the overall feel.

I am trying to get my boyfriend something for his birthday coming up and want to hook up his bike. His bike is mainly stock except tires and hand guards. I am already getting him a 49-50 tooth rear sprocket as I have read its an easy change and makes third gear more usable. What other mods can I do that will help with handling that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Also we usually trail ride, but he does take his bike out to the track with the guys.

Thank you for your help!

Yeh.. Hi.. call my girlfriend and teach her your ways. Thanks. lol

plus one for the dubach engine repositioning kit, it's that good!!