Stripped bolt for oil filter plate

I stripped the threads on the lower allen bolt for the oil filter cover. What is the best way to fix it. Do I drill larger and tap it(ut what about te shoulder bolt that centers the bolt) or do I fill the hoe in with liquid steel and tap it the same size. I'm nervous about screwing somthing up..

Please help....

Ray

The heli-coil is a threaded insert made of stainless. the drill and insertion tool come in a kit, about 30$. drill size for a M6 x 1 would be 6.25mm or .2461" -- might be able to get away with a 1/4"

Emhart fastening tek www.emhart.com or talk to Paul at ECKO tool (best prices, good guy) 800-524-9883

good luck!! dont worry, I use heli-coils every day (not in my bike, but at work) and the never fail

I striped the same bolt in my 426. It seems as though Yamaha did a poor job machining some of the side cases. I fixed mine after many hours of stress worrying about what to do with a heilicoil. You can get a kit at a local automotive store (they ain't cheap, $35 - $40 but the kit will have all the tools you need to insert the new threads). You'll have to take the side case off. Then just drill out the stripped part and insert the heilicoil as the directions instruct. It is a very easy job. One problem though, there is an oil galley that will hang up the heilicoil when you insert it. I used a pair of very long needle nose pliers to get it past that point. The repair is stronger than the original threads because they are now steel instead of aluminum. I suggest that you get a new bolt from Yamaha to avoid any problems you may encounter with the old threads. No problems over a year later! If you have any questions contact me at tidermange@ocsnet.net

This is becoming a common problem. I noticed it on one of my previous YZF's. Apparently what happens is when you change oil, metal debris runs down into those threads through a hole in the filter cavity. Over time the threads get buggered up.

Ty Davis recommends blocking that hole with a set screw to prevent the problem.

I agree with Maicoman, if the threads are not to bad you can simply run a proper sized tap into the hole and clean them up. If the treads are too far gone the helicoil kit works great. I repaired two sets of threads on my fork tube with the helicoil set and now I can still use my factory fasteners and torque them to spec no problem.

------------------

2000 YZ426F

2001 CR500R

I am going to get the helicoil set what lenght do i need. What do i tell the helicoil sales man i need. I need to get this done today.. I have 3 new bolts( incasei scew one up) coming in i hope today. I love how it take 2 weeks to order a $.99 bolt or a $30 fed ex charge..so

1. what do i tell the helicoil guy?

2. where online could i buy these bolts in the future.. it hink it is a special shoulder bolt( the shoulder is lager than the threads

Thanks for getting me back on my bike guys!

I got my kit at NAPA automotive. Just take one of your bolts in to match the threads. In the kit you should get several heilicoil threads, an insertion tool, a tap, and if my memory serves me right, you also get the proper size drill bit for the new tap. I would recommend drilling the hole on a drill press when you get to that point. It's not a tough job.

GLEN

• 15 years later...

yami 426

sometimes if you did not strip out the thread to bad, you can simply re-thread the hole by re-tapping the thread. If the thread is completly wasted, then use the above advice.

So pretty much I can get a 6mm×1.0 tap and it could potentially work if the threads aren't too damaged