HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taco Ninja

2008 YZ450f Oil Change

3 posts in this topic

I have recently purchased my very first four stroke machine - a used 2008 YZ450f. I changed the oil this morning for the first time and was surprised at the quantity of old oil that came out - approximately 1600mL. The manual says it should refilled 950mL for a typical oil change and 1200mL if the filters are also being replaced (which I wasn't doing at the time). I put the recommended 950mL back in and checked the level with the motor hot and cold - the indicator showed it low. I put an additional 250mL in (to get to the 1200mL) and again checked the level which was still reading low. Am I missing something?? Why would there be such a discrepancy between what the indicator shows and what the manual tells you to put in?? I did have the bike off the side stand, level and upright and the indicator still read low when it was fully screwed in. Any help or input is appreciated.

I have recently purchased my very first four stroke machine - a used 2008 YZ450f. I changed the oil this morning for the first time and was surprised at the quantity of old oil that came out - approximately 1600mL. The manual says it should refilled 950mL for a typical oil change and 1200mL if the filters are also being replaced (which I wasn't doing at the time). I put the recommended 950mL back in and checked the level with the motor hot and cold - the indicator showed it low. I put an additional 250mL in (to get to the 1200mL) and again checked the level which was still reading low. Am I missing something?? Why would there be such a discrepancy between what the indicator shows and what the manual tells you to put in?? I did have the bike off the side stand, level and upright and the indicator still read low when it was fully screwed in. Any help or input is appreciated.

well, i would go by dip stick my self over the book, BUT how you check the oil is start the bike up, get it nice and warmed up, either ride it a bit or let idle for a minute or 2 until cylinders feel well off warm and possibly your case, from oil flowing.

Now let sit for 3-5 mins or so, THEN check your oil on a relatively flat spot with bike nice and upright of course, i personally fill my oil up to not screwed in, but dip the stick down to the threads and check it at that, after all "dip stick" not thread stick?, i dont know, but my bikes still rocking, So try that and see what happens, i believe the bike also has a oil pressure bolt or something? ( its been all winter) so i forget on mine, but im pretty damn sure theres a bolt you crack open to make sure its got oil flowing also...., but try that method and let me know if it helps any

Edited by Octanee