WR450 - weight loss needed

Can my bike shed weight?

2008 WR450 - my first dirt bike, I bought it new. this ride was tough to learn single track on. all the mods are done, it snorts like a dragon. the bike has tons of power, but has always felt top heavy, but I am 45 and can't do quite so many pushups anymore.

I've recently considered a new bike, something lighter. I've been looking at a 2 stroke KTM - 200xc-w. I'd like to be able to ride a moto track a bit easier as my son has a kx85. But, I really do love this WR450.

So, instead of a new bike - can the WR lose weight??

I had a baja designs full lighting kit installed to be 'road legal'. I don't need it. I actually never ride roads and could live without all of it - lights, signals, horn and all - that's gotta shed a couple pounds. Maybe a lighter battery, aftermarket pipe, go back to the original skid plate (instead of the rigid aftermarket aluminum plate), and maybe a Rekluse (not sure if this is lighter than the stock clutch).

Am I going to be able to shed enough weight to feel a difference? I bet 20lb could make a difference.

otherwise, I either have to work out and practice on the bike more

or - get a new bike.

Thanks

Here are the practicle, afforadble mods that will drop a total of about 15lbs, make a noticable improvement in weight:

- Dr D. YZ radiator lowering kit

- Stock lighting

- aftermarket exhaust (full system)

- Lithium Battery

- Tubliss wheels

- Acerbis skid plate

A rekluse adds weight.

In all honesty, the WR is one of the lightest feeling bikes out there (pre 2011) and it's so much lighter feeling than the CRF450X, and about the same as the older KTMs.

The newer KTM's are 20lbs lighter, and feel 40lbs lighter, but cost almost $2500 more.

The new '12 WR is what you should look at.......

Edited by Krannie

Been there, done that, gave up, tried again, failed again... and I finally figured out the solution

I have my wr that I got in 05. I really like the bike because its fun and easy to ride. But, it is heavy. Nothing you can do will significantly change that. You will end up spending a ton of money and making it feel a little lighter but never light enough. Or at least, I wasn't able to.

The WR "is" top heavy. You answer really lies in another bike. I tried to lighten mine up so I could race it in enduros, but I ended up getting another bike. FIrst I got a yz250 2 stroke (which are super cheap and readily available). I raced those and had much better results. But last year I bought a lightweight ktm 450 four stroke and love it. Its very light, got tons of power, is great for the track and for racing. But when I am on a fun trail ride and I am not racing, I ride my wr450.

One thing... never mind what the scale says. Light weight is one thing, but light feeling is what you are really after.

The wr is what it is. Its a great bike, but its heavy. Maybe the new one is better.

Edited by mauricedorris

Isn't the new one heavier yet?! What with the added EFI, fuel pump, etc...... Sure, the magazines will tell you it "feels" lighter, they are after all trying to get you to buy more bikes!!! Maniac

One thing... never mind what the scale says. Light weight is one thing, but light feeling is what you are really after.

Period. My 450X is 12lbs heavier than my WR450 was, and the WR always felt lighter.

Go for the 200. I got my 450 after a long time off. I thought I turned into a jelly fish in my time off because I wasn't able to whip my bike on a stand and had trouble pushing it up a ramp into the truck. And then I got a YZ 125 to moto on.I could not believe the difference.The 450 felt 2x as heavy. Now I have 17 inch road wheels on my WR.

If I were to get a new dirt bike I would get a 200.

WR450?... heavy? are you nuts? this thing is a feather compared to my old XR.

I did lighten mine up but it was a byproduct and probably weighs about stock after all the crap I added

Shorai lithium battery

Tubliss

Trial Tire

full exhaust7

go excercise

I also vote for getting another bike. The wr is great for what it was designed for. I use mine for trail riding only (well I guess I have hit the track on it a few times and do enjoy honking the horn as I spin laps :thumbsup: ). I bought an 02rm250 and it is way better on the track.

If you are going to keep the wr and don't want to get another bike make sure and get the right springs and valving for that type of riding. This alone will make the bike feel lighter as the suspension will handle more of the work so you don't have to. :thumbsup:

Edited by kawi380

Light, cheap and fast.. Pick two

that's a good one :thumbsup:

00-01 CR250R with a flywheel weight, smaller front sprocket and bark-busters. There, I can get all 3 for $1,200!!!

I see where you are going but it's not really applicable in this thread. The WR will always be heavier than a YZ, especially a 2 stroke; you want light that will be your only option. Otherwise ride what you have.

Mike

Here are the practicle, afforadble mods that will drop a total of about 15lbs, make a noticable improvement in weight:

- Dr D. YZ radiator lowering kit

- Stock lighting

- aftermarket exhaust (full system)

- Lithium Battery

- Tubliss wheels

- Acerbis skid plate

A rekluse adds weight.

In all honesty, the WR is one of the lightest feeling bikes out there (pre 2011) and it's so much lighter feeling than the CRF450X, and about the same as the older KTMs.

The newer KTM's are 20lbs lighter, and feel 40lbs lighter, but cost almost $2500 more.

The new '12 WR is what you should look at.......

Pretty much what he said for mods. I personally like the weight of my WR450, but that mostly because I came off an XR650L. But on the 650 had done a battery relocation and used a TurnTech battery, TuBliss tire inserts, and aftermarket exhuast and noticed a big difference in weight, but I was still riding a big fat pig. Those same mods on a WR would help and I might add you could ditch the AIS and possibly your resevoir for your coolant, but if you did that you have to install a stiffer radiator cap. Still not going to be as light as a YZ.

I just went through this same situation. Rode a '09 YZ450. Too stiff, deflected all over the place in the roots. Power - not much more than the WR. Gearing was all wrong. Thought about a YZ250. They are fun but they are missing a lot on the bottom end, where I do a lot of my riding. Valve adjustments are more frequent. CRF250R was almost good enough to put in the garage but it was missing a lot of torque on the bottom. Suspension was amazing, even in the roots.

I realized the WR was still better for woods so I bought a newer alum. framed version. I had an '06. The '09 that I bought has a full '08 YZ exhaust (shorty muffler) and 1lb lithium battery. The weight difference between my new bike and the '06 is very noticeable, the newer bike feeling much lighter. I still plan on removing the kickstand and putting on a titanum shock spring off a YZ, currently on my older bike. I may also go to an aluminum sprocket and smaller tire. You want to concentrate your efforts on reducing unsprung weight. They say for every oz. you shave of unsprung weight, it like 7X more effective as the same weight taken off the frame.

Edited by Navaho6