Air Filter Disinagration

When I got out my spare (stock) filter today it totally decomposing.

Here's my drill;

1)clean filter in solvent

2)clean filter in warm/soapy water (useing Palmolive to avoid "dishwater hands".

3)Let dry

4)Use Twin Air oil filter

5)Put in Tupperware or Ziplock then into gearbag.

This filter has been in my gearbag about 2 months,

the bike is only about 5 months old.

I've used this "system " forever and never have seen this.

Imagine if the filter was on the bike.

I'd appreciate your comments.

I'd also like to thank all of you contributors for your advise it's been a tremendous resource.

Also my Twin Air filter shows no signs of breakdown.

TZ

Im gonna guess that there wasn't alot of time between when you oiled it and put it in the bag...air tight bag. Both the cleaning solvent and the oil have solvents that need to flash off in the open air. I'm thinking that if you seal it in a bag too quick the solvents are forced to stay rather than evaporate off and ate away at the foam???

I use a degreaser sold for cleaning air filter oil by Artic Cat, wash it in warm soapy water, and blow dry. I store it dry with nothing on it. I oil it just before I put it on the bike. So far there was no damage done to the filter and it's been over a year.

I guess you shouldn't store it in a tight sealed container when it's oiled. Just like Trailriderjoe said.

BTW I found a Unifilter on ebay for 20.00 cdn$$. It's not too bad for a spare. They usually run near 55.00$$cdn.

I clean my White Bros. and stock filter with liquid Tide. I've never had one come apart.

I also change them every ride and always have a clean, dryone one ready to oil up and go.

I'd say the solvent is eating the thing apart.