HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
proamature

Replacing water pump?

6 posts in this topic

Ok so water pump is leaking out the weep hole. So Nvr done this b4. Do I buy. Whole entire water pump. Or impeller and gasket.?

You'll have to tear into it, and find out which parts need replacing. If your lucky, you'll only need the gaskets and seals. If your un-lucky, you'll also need the impellar shaft. Maniac

How will I know if the impeller shaft is bad? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. Nvr messed with a water pump b4 but thank you for the help

The water pump shaft can get grooves worn in it where the seals ride. The water pump consists of the shaft, bearing,oil seal,coolant seal,washer,impeller, and the cover gasket. You have to take the clutch side cover off to service the inner seals and bearing.

How will I know if the impeller shaft is bad? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. Nvr messed with a water pump b4 but thank you for the help

Change both the impeller and the seal while you are in there. The shaft of the impeller gets rusted and pitted and you run the risk of it not providing a good seal.

There is a bearing there too. Change it all. Don't take the chance. That is one assembly that will cause a lot of damage to your bike. My head is in the shop right now getting reconditioned because of a failed water pump.

Ok so replaced impeller and that seal on the cover but is still leeking. Assuming the bearing is leeking because still poring out the weep hole. How do u take the bearing out?