WR/YZ cam swap

Please help....lol. I have an 05 wr450 and I have been reading about this exhaust cam swap by installing a yz exhaust cam. I have also been reading about just changing the exhaust cam timing on the stock wr cam to basically achieve the same results. Which of these would work best and has anyone tried this before????

You can do a search on this, as there is lots of good information out there on this subject. Using the YZ cam makes the electric start almost un-usable, as the engine will have too much compression for the starter to over-come. Maniac

Hey guys- hate to butt in but didn't want to start a whole new thread. I just picked up a used 07 WR450, and when I went to check the valves I saw this. It runs fine, so I was wondering if the previous owner possibly retarded the stock WR camshaft one tooth instead of buying a new camshaft. What do you guys think?

photo.jpg

Does the e-start work fine?

You may have a worn cam chain. Depends on how much time is on the bike.

The e-start works just fine. It takes 2-3 seconds to fire up, but it works every time. The bike is fairly new- person before me said <1000miles. I can't figure out how to check using the stock speedo unit and I didn't get a manual with it.

The e-start works just fine. It takes 2-3 seconds to fire up, but it works every time. The bike is fairly new- person before me said <1000miles. I can't figure out how to check using the stock speedo unit and I didn't get a manual with it.

Here is a link to get the manual in a PDF format for free

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/371801-wr-performance-index/

Thanks- I have that but didn't figure it would cover as basic an operation as using the speedo. Doesn't look like you can check total hrs/miles. Bummer! Wanted to get a vapor anyhow.

Thanks- I have that but didn't figure it would cover as basic an operation as using the speedo. Doesn't look like you can check total hrs/miles. Bummer! Wanted to get a vapor anyhow.

Oh, no, you are correct. They come with a resettable ODO so you will never be sure. When I just did my top end, I installed an hour meter.