Pump gas or race gas

Hey all, I ride a stock ( insert removed) 2011 WR450 and I was wondering if any of you are running race gas or if everyone is running straight pump gas. I currently run either Chevron or Shell 93 in mine and don't have any issues with it that I am aware of. I am not currently competing, but I do plan on taking my riding seriously and I want the most performance and I want to take the best care of it possible. I am planning on doing the free mods, just want to get a better feel for the bike before I do. Only had it since late February..

Do yourself a favor and run pump gas. Don't mess with the race gas unless you are racing.

I started out trail riding with my wr450 and then started racing it. I spent a LOT of money. I mean... A LOT OF MONEY.

What really matters is the suspension, bars and tires. Don't waste time or energy on race gas. You wont need it.

And if/when you do start racing seriously, you'll probably be getting a different bike to race and keeping the WR for your fun rides. (see my sig line!)

You will get amazing performance if you just tune what you have.

You don't need any more octane if you are not having any issues first of all. You might realize a small gain in throttle respose if you use a designer blend of fuel meant for a short intake length, constantly changing throttle and load application, if you retune your bike to take advantage of it. The biggest advantage of a "race"fuel is if you buy it in seal 5 gallon containers is that it is fresh and constant but up to 3 times as expensive as pump seems too costly for me. If you are going to buy race fuel from a bulk container the the freshness and consistency will be suspect and offer no real benefit.

if it aint broke dont fix it

Race gas is only needed at the highest level of competetion, with the engine modified to the max. It is a waste for everybody else. Speed comes from suspension and practice.

I run 89 in mine with 150 hours (guess, bought used) on it, and 91 on race day so I feel better. No detonation at all.

Race gas is only needed at the highest level of competetion, with the engine modified to the max. It is a waste for everybody else. Speed comes from suspension and practice.

I run 89 in mine with 150 hours (guess, bought used) on it, and 91 on race day so I feel better. No detonation at all.

How is the 89? I ran out of 91 and had to put 87 in to get home. Is that hard on it if I use 25 percent throttle max?

Race gas is higher Octane.

Higher Octane is only needed if you have increased compression.

Increased compression without higher octane will cause detonation.

There is NO reason to put in higher octane gas ACCEPT for reasons of detonation elimination.

If your stock bike runs better on race gas, it's because your bike is jetted poorly, and the extra oxygen in the race gas is compensating for your bad jetting.

Most bikes will run with better throttle response with race gas, usually because the fuel screw is adjusted poorly and the needle is set wrong.

Edited by Krannie

Race gas is higher Octane.

Higher Octane is only needed if you have increased compression.

Increased compression without higher octane will cause detonation.

There is NO reason to put in higher octane gas ACCEPT for reasons of detonation elimination.

If your stock bike runs better on race gas, it's because your bike is jetted poorly, and the extra oxygen in the race gas is compensating for your bad jetting.

Most bikes will run with better throttle response with race gas, usually because the fuel screw is adjusted poorly and the needle is set wrong.

usually race gas is oxygenatd, and leaded. this is where the "more power" comes from.

How is the 89? I ran out of 91 and had to put 87 in to get home. Is that hard on it if I use 25 percent throttle max?

You should be fine to run 87 for a while, even at a regular pace. I know a lot of people that run 87 in their bikes and don't really think twice about it.