Rear shock questions

Howdy,

My 05 450's rear shock let go. Its kinda hard to ride on spring alone, so I have a few questions about it. How much do you all figure a new one would cost? Is there anywhere you all know to send it off to, to get rebuilt? It is at my local powersports shop, they are going to get a price to me before they move on, but what would be a reasonable price so i know if they are attempting to bend me over? Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on what "let go" means. If it is just leaking oil and has lost damping then you simply need a routine service that would include new seals, fresh oil and a nitrogen charge. This usually costs around 150.00 bucks or less.

Find a reputible suspension shop or dealer that specializes in off road suspension service.

If let go means smashed beyond reconition then your screwed.

Depends on what "let go" means. If it is just leaking oil and has lost damping then you simply need a routine service that would include new seals, fresh oil and a nitrogen charge. This usually costs around 150.00 bucks or less.

Find a reputible suspension shop or dealer that specializes in off road suspension service.

If let go means smashed beyond reconition then your screwed.

It did not seem to me to be that leaking oil, but it sat all winter in the shed. could have leaked all out (i live 40miles from where the bike is, so i cant just pop out and check) It got serviced for the same issue it has now a year back was rode once and put up and it already dosnt work the rear was all spring. Our local yamaha dealer really dosnt know his pooper from a hole in the ground, the next nearest is 2 hours away(billings, mt). I bet the nearest off road suspension service is more like 3 1/2 hours away (Cheyenne) But it is not smashed, so hopefully it is alright. Thanks for the input guys

Sounds like its fine, I bet it was not properly bled from last service if done by a dealer that didnt know what they were doing and could have some damaged parts inside. Find a good suspension service even if you have to box it up and ship it to them, any shop worth its salt ships out suspension daily. I recommend http://csrsuspension.com if your going to mail it off.