HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrwest

Car engine oil for 4 stroke bike?

7 posts in this topic

Hi

As far as I know you shall use JASO approved oil, otherwise your clutch will slip, because of some low friction additives in car oil.

Is Shell Rotella T, the diesel oil, still a good one to use for these things?

Can I use Castrol EDGE 5W40 in my 450 WR ?

Its a full synthetic oil.

if it doesnt say "energy conserving" in the circle where it says the weight you are okay.

yes shell rotella t is good, I used it for years.

I run Valvoline racing synthetic. its fairly inexpensive ($5-6 qt) and after searching peoples oil analysis's it holds up really well compared to stuff like amsoil

Hi

Can I use Castrol EDGE 5W40 in my 450 WR ?

Its a full synthetic oil.

CASTROL EDGE 5W-40

• API SM
  • SAE 5W-40
  • ACEA A3/B4
  • Approved for VW 502 00/ 505 00; BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.3, Porsche A40 (refer to vehicle manual)

This oil I would not recommend for a wr450, from API SG and newer, low friction additives were added, (like zink liniment)

You could use it in a ducati motorcycle with a dry clutch.

I have destroyd the clutch in my honda cbr 900rr fireblade with car oil, it did not help to change back to proper motorcycle oil, I had to change the frictionplates in the clutch.

Possibly a stupid question here but here goes. I often see mention of Shell rotella diesel oil being used. I used Delo 15/40 for many years (in two strokes) with great success. Seeing as i'm having a complete rebuild top and bottom done on my WR400 (sone to be WR426) would Delo be a good brand to use. I can get the Delo 1-5 gallons at a time so it would be cheap for me but not worth hurting a new motor. Thanks in advance.