Car engine oil for 4 stroke bike?

Can I use Castrol EDGE 5W40 in my 450 WR ?

Its a full synthetic oil.

Hi

As far as I know you shall use JASO approved oil, otherwise your clutch will slip, because of some low friction additives in car oil.

Is Shell Rotella T, the diesel oil, still a good one to use for these things?

if it doesnt say "energy conserving" in the circle where it says the weight you are okay.

yes shell rotella t is good, I used it for years.

I run Valvoline racing synthetic. its fairly inexpensive ($5-6 qt) and after searching peoples oil analysis's it holds up really well compared to stuff like amsoil

I use rotella t diesel in mine.

Hi

CASTROL EDGE 5W-40

• API SM
  • SAE 5W-40
  • ACEA A3/B4
  • Approved for VW 502 00/ 505 00; BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.3, Porsche A40 (refer to vehicle manual)

This oil I would not recommend for a wr450, from API SG and newer, low friction additives were added, (like zink liniment)

You could use it in a ducati motorcycle with a dry clutch.

I have destroyd the clutch in my honda cbr 900rr fireblade with car oil, it did not help to change back to proper motorcycle oil, I had to change the frictionplates in the clutch.

Possibly a stupid question here but here goes. I often see mention of Shell rotella diesel oil being used. I used Delo 15/40 for many years (in two strokes) with great success. Seeing as i'm having a complete rebuild top and bottom done on my WR400 (sone to be WR426) would Delo be a good brand to use. I can get the Delo 1-5 gallons at a time so it would be cheap for me but not worth hurting a new motor. Thanks in advance.