Bike support when taking carb out/removing subframe bolts

Since this is the internet, and nobody can make fun of me in person, here goes.... I'm going to re-jet my '09 WR450F, and do the AIS removal. When I take the subframe bolts/shock out, what is the best way to support the bike? Can it stay on its kickstand, or put it on a stand, or suspend with straps? Flame away

I place my bike on a bike stand, run a tie down strap to the ceiling, remove the bottom subframe bolts, tilt the subframe up, and use a rachet strap to hold the subframe up and out of the way. Then you can leave all electrical connections alone, and in place.

Cobalt,

I'm glad you asked this question. I'd been wondering how to remove the carb, but I got stuck at trying figure out how to remove the airbox. I guess tilting the subframe up comes into play there?

The manual is great, but my comprehension skills aren't always so good. ?

I wish that there was a good video for taking the WR450 apart and working on it.

Cobalt,

I'm glad you asked this question. I'd been wondering how to remove the carb, but I got stuck at trying figure out how to remove the airbox. I guess tilting the subframe up comes into play there?

The manual is great, but my comprehension skills aren't always so good. ?

I wish that there was a good video for taking the WR450 apart and working on it.

Yes, just undo the carb/airbox intake boot, and lift up the subframe/airbox after removing the lower subframe bolts, and you'll have plenty of room to get at the carb for removal.

Some guys can replace the main and pilot jets without removing the carb by accessing them through the drain bolt with a mirror and homemade tool, but I find it easier for me to just remove the carb. You can get to the needle as well wothout removing the carb by removing the tank and upper engine mounts.

Edited by mikewrf18

On mine, I just remove the two bottom bolts and rotate the subframe up and re-tighten the top bolt. it works great. You can do the main, pilot and needle without removing the carb....... it gets pretty easy after you do it a couple times.

good luck,

I needed to adjust my TPS again yesterday, and began to raise the subframe since it "sounded like" I only needed to remove the 2 lower bolts, but it's obviously a bit more involved than that. There are bolts to the exhaust and one was under the side cover which seemed difficult to reach, since my rear rack is in the way.

I really "need" to pull the carb eventually a cleck it out for wear & settings. I'm hoping to improve my gas milage, since 30ish mpg sucks...