Kansas Dirt Bike Rider Check In!

I wish my bike would arrive  - I really want to do a ride like that.  I am starting to get impatient and looking at alternatives, even if it is a temporary purchase of a nice used bike I could flip once my new one comes in.

I looked long and hard at options.  I wanted a dual sport just because I figured I would get more use out of it than a pure dirt bike, and like the idea of having the option of riding to a trail.  I have 2 street bikes if I want to do any distance riding and don't plan on doing any super serious off roading, as I am not as young as I used to be - just want to get out and enjoy nature without having to do a ton of maintenance.  Obviously, I haven't ridden a CRF300L yet and maybe I will regret it, but as much interest as there is in them, I will be able to off load it if needed.  I am fully expecting to upgrade the suspension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yokomo said:

Yesterday was a REAL windy day for a dual sport ride!   

We have ridden in worse.  At least we weren't almost blown off the road like we were once last year.

2 hours ago, txst said:

I have 2 street bikes if I want to do any distance riding and don't plan on doing any super serious off roading, 

I wouldn't want to do them on a Harley Hog, but most of these Flint Hills rides could be done on many street bikes.   Check with Miller Cycle shop in Inman.  That's where I got my last 2 bikes.   (620) 712-1165  He's an honest guy with reasonable prices.

10 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

We have ridden in worse.  At least we weren't almost blown off the road like we were once last year.

I wouldn't want to do them on a Harley Hog, but most of these Flint Hills rides could be done on many street bikes.   Check with Miller Cycle shop in Inman.  That's where I got my last 2 bikes.   (620) 712-1165  He's an honest guy with reasonable prices.

I second that, got a deal on a CR at Miller Cycle Shop, good guys there. I'd say come by Motorcycle Supply in Manhattan but our showroom is currently full of Harleys only right now, no dirt bikes so far this year. On the topic of wind, couple of gusts around noon today here in town caught me a little off guard. Was helping my buddy at his track and didn't get quite blown over but was taken back a few steps. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thank you Weezer, good to say hello too. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing much riding. I moved up to the Northeast just before the pandemic and that closed most of the riding. I did some last summer, but not enough. I lost my job due to covid and I'm working in South Carolina now and still living in MA. I'm hoping I can bring the bike down here and find some good places to ride.

I miss all the good places to ride in MO and KS.

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It has been a LOOONG dry spell here!  If any of you are interested in doing back roads Flint Hills rides, a small group of us who ride out of Wichita have developed 6 loops that cover from Cedarvale on the south, to Pillsbury Crossing (east of Manhattan) on the north.  We haul the bikes and stage out of Beaumont, Matfield Green, Cedar Point, Elmdale, and Geary Co. state fishing lake South of Junction city..  The rides vary from 55 miles to 120 miles,  And almost all of it is gravel and dirt.  The Flint hills have a lot of interesting history, and some interesting "minimun maintenance, travel at your own risk" roads.  Let us know if you are interested.