Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freeriders98

Daily Commute on a WR need input?!?!

12 posts in this topic

I found a 99 wr400 with a 426 motor that is recently rebuilt. Its got 2 sets of tires and wheels one dirt one dual sport. I want a dual sport and ride it daily to work. 30 miles round trip 25 miles Hey at 60-65mph. It has better gearing for street not sure what size sprocket its got. But motor and maintenance. Wise how will it hold up? I had a 98 wr400 plated and loved.it.but my commute was only ancouple miles. Just looking for experience and input. Thanks guys!!!

I'm going to start riding mine 45km a day when I go to school 2 times a week.. Mostly 65mph. Not seeing an issue

Gearing will be key. At stock gearing they need to wind up a bit to get past 55 mph. But I see no real problem.

gearing is the only thing you need to worry about. use gearingcommander.com you dont want to be over 6000rpm cruise, 4500-5000 is ideal

Edited by n16ht5

gearing is the only thing you need to worry about. use gearingcommander.com you dont want to be over 6000rpm cruise, 4500-5000 is ideal

Is a 2004 the same as my 06 for gearing? It says my 60mph cruise is 6600 rpm so this is too high ?

Is a 2004 the same as my 06 for gearing? It says my 60mph cruise is 6600 rpm so this is too high ?

DUDE omg. :thumbsup: really??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

YES! too high! 16T CS ! if you really want your low gear, swap back to 13t on trails. I did that for years on my XR :doh::cry::lol::banghead:

DUDE omg. :thumbsup: really??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

YES! too high! 16T CS ! if you really want your low gear, swap back to 13t on trails. I did that for years on my XR :doh::cry::lol::banghead:

Other people are saying keep it under 7000 for cruising . Lots of people cruise with 14/50 I see. I just dOnt want my first gear to be long on the trails

if it is short jaunts under 7k is alright, but commuting you really don't want to stress the motor like that. hard on valves too. get a Rekluse and you won't have to worry.

I am thinking 15 - 48 for daily commute and trails and I weight 250lbs. What do yall think?

Edited by E4x4Eric

I'm going to be running a 15/43 with sumo 17" wheels, all so I could get my 110 km/hr (65 mph) rpm as low as possible.. also with that ratio my chain should last pretty long too.

I'm going to be running a 15/43 with sumo 17" wheels, all so I could get my 110 km/hr (65 mph) rpm as low as possible.. also with that ratio my chain should last pretty long too.

15/43, isn't that going to take a lot of the take off power on the bike? Like the first gear and maybe second gear.

last year I was running a 14/44, this year I'm going to run the new combo. With 14/44 the bike definitely didn't have any pulling issues, as a matter of fact the nose of the bike was still very light, but at idle with the lever out, the bike really wanted to move on it's own.

yes, with the new gearing it'll probably reduce the amount of easy stand ups.. but that isn't a problem in my eyes. I'm 120 lbs.. riding a bike that by all means is too powerful and tall for my body weight/size. Quite frankly it scares the poop outta me each and every ride I go on if I'm not careful... but... it still brings a smile to my face and makes me feel alive, so I keep riding it to the best of my ability.