426 to 450 coversion complete with pics

I decided a while back to do a complete rebuild of a 2001 yz426f I had sitting in boxes in my basement. Since I was going to be replacing a great deal of the parts on this bike I decided to update the looks with the 03-05 450 body. This is how it looked before I started.

shawn1147.jpg

After a couple of weeks of ordering parts, going through the bike, ordering more parts, realizing I forgot this part and that part, and ordering even more parts, I made a three day push to get it ready to ride this past weekend. This is how it turned out.

shawn1515.jpgshawn1512.jpg

Edited by idle_mind

• Wow, Looks awesome! Im afraid to ask what the damage ($$) was...

It ran me just under 2k. Which, is still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a brand new bike. And even though it's a 2001, I went through every last nut and bolt on the bike, so it's pretty much a new bike...

Judging by the looks of your garage I'd say you already have a new YZ450F! Hahaha way to go Bro, that's a great looking bike you've built there.

Thanks Man! LOL! Yeah it's a 2008. It looks like a dinosaur sitting next to the new YZ426F.

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the middle of a WR450 to WR426 parts swap. Was the 426 frame compatible with a gas tank from a 450? How about sub frame?
The 450 gas tank from 2003-2005 will fit the 426 frame. You will need to make extended tank mounting brackets. And you have to use the 450 subframe, airbox, seat, side panels, and rear fender. The sub frame needs a little grinding to fit the 426 frame. You can find info on the tank mounts if you search 426 to 450 conversion. Edited by idle_mind

YOUZA !! -very nice 426!! how about a lil list of your extensive mods and parts you put on the 426.....inquiring minds wanna know!!

The best mod I did on this bike was a Hot Cams auto decompressor camshaft. She fires up on the second to third kick every time hot or cold.

• Powder coated the frame, swingarm, sub frame, shock spring, rear brake lever, and the clutch and stator covers
  • All new plastic from ufo and gas tank from Clarke as well as all new bolts for the body work
  • I "Frankensteined" the graphics. I cut up some FX OEM graphics, ordered Yamaha, GYTR, and Yamalube decals from ebay and peiced them together to sort of look like the old GYTR graphics kits
  • Blue Mishimoto radiator hoses
  • FMF power core exhaust with power bomb header
  • Rear brake assembly from a 2005 YZ450F
  • Custom number plate backgrounds and numbers from FX
  • Driven titanium shift lever
  • Red carb hoses
  • New Renthal chain and sprockets
  • New dunlop MX51 tires
  • Gold Excel rims
  • TAG titanium handlebars

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out but thats what comes to mind right away.

Edited by idle_mind

Very nice! I really like the red number backgrounds.

Thanks. I almost didn't go with red because I thought it would make me look like a squid but seeing that I pretty much only that bike on a track I built at home and have never lost to any of my friends and family that have raced me on that track, I figured I'd go with the points leader red backgrounds. ?

Edited by idle_mind