Improving fuel economy ?

Besides riding like a granny is there anything that can help the WR450's fuel milage?

I haven't had mine long, but it's already obvious that this is one thirsty bike. I rode side-by-side with a buddy on a 2011 Husaberg 570FE and my 2008 WR450f always drank more. One filling mine needed 1.4 gallons and his only needed 1.1 gallons.

His bike is newer, has fuel injection, may be a bit lighter, but has quite a bit larger displacement.

I don't have any other direct comparisons yet. I wonder how to help it do better ?

(btw, I had a DRZ400 and heard many folks getting 50+ mpg, while lots of folks only got around 42 mpg. I did a side-by-side with another DRZ400 and his bike got about 50 while mine got only 42, he had the FCR and I had the Mikuni. He had steeper gearing.

Also, I have an XT225 and it'll get 75 mpg while running 70+ mph, which amazes me. )

I know the WR450 is a race bike, but I'm using it as a trail bike and it would be nice to maximize the range. Any tips?

Edited by GlennR

Part of the reason why EFI bikes get better mpg's, is they don't have fuel dumping out of the carb overflow hoses when they hit a bump. I worked at the NY State Championships one year at Broome-Tioga, and watching the bikes come down this nasty downhill, you couldn't believe how much fuel is dumping out of the carb the whole way down that hill!!!! So like everyone else has said, you can try leaner jetting, lower float heigtht, etc., etc.., but all of these tricks are going to cost you power too. Maniac

An Acerbis tank was included with the 08' I have, and it will be good to have. However, I'm having stuttering issues from the TPS that I need to fix first. (the Acerbis has a stripped mounting nut, so it's very time consuming to mount & unmount the tank. Any tips on fixing it?)

Somebody mentioned how so much fuel spills out the overflow tubes on hills & bumps. Maybe that can be adjusted to spill less? And maybe I can get the accelerator pump adjusted perfect too.

The bigger tank will make the range acceptable. The main thing is getting the TPS stutter fixed, that's driving me nuts.

While I was trying to adjust my TPS (what a PITA on the aluminum frame bikes!) I checked out the fit of a 2 gallon gas can on my rear rack. It was a perfect fit. I just need to get a few bungees or straps to fit & I'll be set. Along with the Acerbis I'll have over 5 gallons, that'll be plenty of play time, even with the poor milage.

While I was trying to adjust my TPS (what a PITA on the aluminum frame bikes!) I checked out the fit of a 2 gallon gas can on my rear rack. It was a perfect fit. I just need to get a few bungees or straps to fit & I'll be set. Along with the Acerbis I'll have over 5 gallons, that'll be plenty of play time, even with the poor milage.

Yeah, that's a bad idea. Very dangerous to carry weight behind you, and strapping it down?? Nope.

The 'spilling' issue is not an issue if the float is adjusted properly. If it spills during normal riding, it is WAY off.

The TPS is a known issue. Just unplug the harness.

If you are on the street a lot, invest in a R&D powerbowl II set up. It is a huge difference in partial-turn throttle response.

If you set up your accelerator pump properly, you will use less gas !!!!

don't do it. ? no gas cans ghetto strapped to fenders.

how far do you really need to go between gas stations???

I unplugged the TPS, but it still stuttered on the road. Im not planning to ride a lot of steet, but 5-10 miles are annoying the way it is. I'll check out the R&D powerbowl II. I'll read the manual about the accelerator pump too. Looks like I need to learn to remove the carb.

I wasn't planning to off road with the gas can strapped on, just carry it to the trail and refill the bike after an hour or two, instead of having to head to the gas station. A couple gallons on the rear rack should ride fine on the street, I'll still be under 200 lbs carrying it.

You're right though I probably won't really need it, but I thought it is cool that it fit so well. A lot of guy pay big money for those Rotopax things.

I adjusted the TPS yesterday and rode this morning. Seems better, but not perfect. I'll turn it a bit farther and see if that cures it.

Edited by GlennR

I don't know the jetting. I just bought the bike and don't really want to take it apart yet, spring is here and I'm really enjoying the riding.

I know I should go over the bike and grease everything good, and pull the carb and check it. The manual says to remove the shock, but doesn't say to remove the airbox to get the carb out. Does the airbox need to be removed?

Also, I've noticed that my bike is hard to roll in gear with the clutch pulled. It rolls easily in neutral. Is that normal on a WR450, or does it indicate something's wrong with the clutch? The bike shifts fine and will start in gear fine, so I'm thinking everything is okay.

yeah same here.

you can change the pilot / main jet without taking the carb off if you really don't want to. I used a small flathead screwdriver and a 6mm socket. you can also do the O ring mod (I zip tied it, o ring looked ghetto).

IMAG0038.jpg