Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yamiryder

Carb leaking

12 posts in this topic

My 07 yz450 is leaking gas out of the carb when it shouldn't. When running, when the bike gets at any sort of angle out of normal, gas leaks out the drain hose. Also, when i got the bike at steep angles, it occasionally stalls. Is this a float sticking or something? I'm not too good with carbs....any help is appreciated. :thumbsup:

I had something similar, all I done was remove the plug from the base of the carb, let the small amount of fuel drain out and replace the plug....no more fuel leaking from the drain hose.

I had the tank off before the leak started, all I can think of is that maybe some dirt got in from wherever I'd set the tank down and blocked something up a bit. I'd open the fuel tap and a second later it would be running out the drain hose.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm, i did have the tank off. I'll go try that. For some reason i don't think i'll be that lucky though...

Edit: i just did what you said to do, and took my bike for a ride around the yard. Still leaking bad like before. Guess its time to tear into the carb.

Edited by Yamiryder

Most likely you have a bit of grit or gunk causing the float valve not to properly seat which would shut off the flow of gas into the carb. I had the same problem on my 03. There was just a little bit of varnish/gunk on the float valve and even if I just turned the gas on and not have the bike running, it would leak. Give that a shot and see if it fixes your issue.

Damian

Well, i dropped the bowl on my bike yesterday and sprayed some carb cleaner to clean it up. Put it back on today and rode the bike, still is leaking some gas. It only seems to do it when the bike gets at angles like a wheelie or over any sort of jump....

Sounds like the float level is too high. If this condition appeared after you worked on the carb, you may have bent the float. If it show up without any interference on your part, one of the floats might be leaking.

Ok, it started happening when i was riding last weekend, so its probably the latter.

Another possibility is a bad O-ring that seals the float needle seat. These O-rings commonly harden and deteriorate with age and start leaking. These are available individually as a replacement part from your Yamaha dealer.

Another possibility is a bad O-ring that seals the float needle seat. These O-rings commonly harden and deteriorate with age and start leaking. These are available individually as a replacement part from your Yamaha dealer.

I thought of that, but it only leaks when the bike is running, so i'm leaning towards the float being the problem.

well, i'm bringing this thread back to try to get some more advice. I adjusted my float, and that helped my bike for a couple hours of run time. However, When i rode today, my carb started leaking again and it will stall when not under throttle in uphill and downhill situations. Do i need to replace my float and plunger? what else can be wrong?

Put the float in a cup of gas. If it floats at the same level on both sides, it's probably OK. The float needle and seat are probably bad.