Where is the engine ID# on my 09?

I'm trying to verify if my motor is an 08 or an 09 in my 09 YZ450F (long story). Can I verify this by the engine ID#? If so, where is it located?

Thanks!

It's on top of the crankcase, next to the carb, behind the kick starter. I doubt you'll be able to discover anything using that number, however. The number on the '09 carb (left side above the float bowl joint) should start with 2S2B B0... An '08 carb has the same number.

The '08 and '09 engines were fundamentally identical, and the production run overlapped both model years.

It's on top of the crankcase, next to the carb, behind the kick starter. I doubt you'll be able to discover anything using that number, however. The number on the '09 carb (left side above the float bowl joint) should start with 2S2B B0... An '08 carb has the same number.

The '08 and '09 engines were fundamentally identical, and the production run overlapped both model years.

Thanks for the info. I found the # and yeah, I can't figure out a way to isolate this motor as an 09, but it does look like there's never been a wrench on the motor mounts, so that's promising. The valve cover is also the black color instead of the dark grey 08 color, so that's promising as well.

I would say if the valve cover is black then it is an 09.