Jetting help... can't start bike

2007 wr450f

uncorked, ais removed, grey wire, twin air filter

I put on a leo vince x3 full exhaust. pea shooter quiet tip in. It was giving lean pilot symptoms and bad bogging (just rode down the street)

I whacked the throttle off idle while coming into the shop and it died... kicked kicked kicked couldn't start.

so I went ahead and pulled jets..

168 main (was in)

50 pilot (45 was in)

It has an aftermarket needle, not sure which one (PO put it in, left me with the stock needle and some jets in a bag with a GYTR sticker.. ran well with stock exhaust)

red fuel screw with numbers on it. I set it to two turns out

did the AP o ring mod

now I can't get it to start at all. I've kicked it over probably 400 times, I don't know how much more I can kick this #$$# thing.

Playing with the idle screw too much and I lost where I had it originally. how do you set it back to stock position? can't find anything in manual.

tried dumping the gas 4 times, then kicking with the fuel off wide open throttle 20 kicks, then gas on, choke on, kick kick kick kcikcdhghdfghdfkj;l

any tricks? am I way off on jetting? I have never had this hard of a time starting any bike before

I

50 pilot is too big.

Go to 45, but a FRESH NEW ONE, or one that is not brown and crusty.

You didn't mention the fuel screw, which needs to be inspected for a good quality o-ring. Set to 1.5 for now.

Set idle high (doesn't really matter yet) and start it up.

It's probably flooded, so put the bike on a stand (don't kick it on the kick stand) and turn off the ignition and kick it 30+ times with the throttle wide open

Now start it, throttle off.

Pull your subframe up and watch the apump squirt....I'll bet it dribbles instead of squirting...which means your nozzle is clogged.

You pull the bowl cover off to get to the passage up to the nozzle.

Change to a 50 leak while your at it, and once you get the pump working again, adjust the timing so it just misses the slide.

its midnight now, I am throwing in the towel for the night. still wont start.

got new pilot jet

checked AP squirt, its good

1.5 turns out (that means full revolutions right?)

check idle adj by gap in slide (3/32")

hold throttle open, kicked 30 times w choke off

choke on, throttle off, kick 30 times. nothing

choke off, kick 30 times, nothing

pull spark plug, its wet. clean off, dry. leave plug out and hold throttle open, kick 50-60 times.

plug back in. choke on, throttle off. kick 30-40 times

choke off, kick 40-50 times. Nothing.

charge up battery to 12.5V (was 10.5)

choke on, kick more

choke off, kick more

turn idle screw up a turn, kick more with choke off.

kick more with choke on

swear a few times

stare at bike for ten minutes

go to bed

well I got my 86 honda fourtrax running after sitting for 5 years today on the second kick, but I still cant get this bike to start. I am going to remove the o ring mod tomorrow, check for spark (why I didn't do it I was tired)

if I cant get it, next week I am going to get a new spark plug. then if that doesn't work I guess I'll disassemble the carb completely. NOT looking forward to that... what a pain in the a hole that thing is to remove

Got any ideas?

Edited by n16ht5

its midnight now, I am throwing in the towel for the night. still wont start.

got new pilot jet

checked AP squirt, its good

1.5 turns out (that means full revolutions right?)

check idle adj by gap in slide (3/32")

well I got my 86 honda fourtrax running after sitting for 5 years today on the second kick, but I still cant get this bike to start. I am going to remove the o ring mod tomorrow, DON'T BOTHER DOING THIS IT WON'T BE THE ISSUE

check for spark (why I didn't do it I was tired) WOW, ALL THE KICKING AND NO SPARK CHECK ???

if I cant get it, next week I am going to get a new spark plug. then if that doesn't work I guess I'll disassemble the carb completely. NOT looking forward to that... what a pain in the a hole that thing is to remove

DOESN'T IT SOUND LIKE MAYBE YOU HAVE SOMETHING DISSCONNECTED IN THE ELECTRICAL?

Got any ideas?

Check your spark in the morning. It has to be something simple.

you rock. I was so focused on the carb I didn't bother to check the electrical. thank you Krannie! I checked spark and obviously there was nothing... looked all through the wiring, found a plug not plugged in all the way. fired right up, runs better than ever!

Thanks!!

you rock. I was so focused on the carb I didn't bother to check the electrical. thank you Krannie! I checked spark and obviously there was nothing... looked all through the wiring, found a plug not plugged in all the way. fired right up, runs better than ever!

Thanks!!

You are welcome.

Occams Razor in effect..........

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."