Kill switch not working

The kill switch on my 2011 YZ 450 is no longer working. The bike starts/runs fine, but pushing the kill switch does not do anything. I looked at the wiring and see that the kill switch plugs into another wire behind the radiator shrouds. Do you think it is as easy as buying a new kill switch, or could it be something downstream, and therefore, need additional troubleshooting?

Get hold of a volt meter and test the button. Connecting the two test leads the two leads coming from the switch, the meter should show no conductivity when the button is released, and complete conductivity when the button is pushed. Another simple test is to disconnect the kill switch, start the engine, and then short the two terminals on the harness where the kill button connects with a wire or a paper clip or something. (Careful, you could get a bit of a jolt from this. Nothing serious). If the engine stops, it's safe to assume the problem is with the switch, if it doesn't, you'll need to dig farther.

The kill switch on my 2011 YZ 450 is no longer working. The bike starts/runs fine, but pushing the kill switch does not do anything. I looked at the wiring and see that the kill switch plugs into another wire behind the radiator shrouds. Do you think it is as easy as buying a new kill switch, or could it be something downstream, and therefore, need additional troubleshooting?

that's been quite a common 450 issue here. Bits of the kill switch break off inside causing it to fail. take it apart and have a look. Replace it with an aftermarket switch.

Edited by fraser

You might want to check your ground wire too.

or just buy a KTM kill switch

Yes, it was the kill switch. It was corroded inside. Bought a new one and now works fine.